What to do about free-roaming neighborhood CATS?

What can you humanely do with cats that hang around your house, garden, yard that belong to others in the neighborhood (but you don't know who) and some who just seem feral or lost?

Our little town has no ASPCA or "animal catcher" to call upon for help.  When you call all nearest towns to explain..they say they are FULL, for a year now?? They don't want them either, I believe.  I'm calling our City Offices TODAY to ask what are we expected to do?  Maybe they will get in gear with an answer.

They lay around in my flower beds, garden and use it for a litter box which really makes me angry and stinks when the sun heats it up. Peeee-Yewwww!!! 

What can you do to get rid of other peoples cats? 

My neighbor said she trapped them in a box trap and hosed them down so they would NEVER want to come around her house again?  They just find somewhere else to go though.  It doesn't solve the real problem of loose cats running everywhere.

What do you think or do you have any remedies for cats that won't leave or go home? 

They get no food here. We have the shadiest yard on the block and that's all I can figure why they all congregate here...shady places to lay and claim as their own.

Also, people are supposed to leash dogs/enclose them (not let them roam) but what about cats??  People have outside cats and they jump fences and are all over the place.  This to me, doesn't really seem fair to other homeowners/renters or anyone at all to have to put up with someone elses free-roaming CATS.

KellyGirl_TX

Asked by KellyGirl_TX at 11:15 AM on Jun. 29, 2011 in Pets

• I think there is a double standard for cats! Everyone flips out when a dog is loose shitting in their yard. But you say anything to the owner of a cat who is being a nuisance and all I hear is, "but he's an outdoor cat." the ASPCA won't even give you a cat if it's going outside. It's not safe for them, they can bring outside illnesses in, get hit by cars, bullied by punks, chased by dogs, make kittens, and ruin personal property! If they have a collar on I have attached nots telling the owner to take their cat for ear mite treatment, keep him out of my yard or he goes to the pound, etc. The neighbors cat sat on top of my brand new car! He slid off digging his nails into my paint job! It coated me $75 to fix it! Do you think they offered to help when I told them?
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:51 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• wow...do you live on my street? lol the lady about 5 houses down has about 15-20 wild cats living around her house...they just keep breeding so when you drive down the street you have to watch so you dont run one over...they are everywhere....
    BlandBaby

Answer by BlandBaby at 11:24 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Sorry you have the aggravation. Trapping them and turning them in is a very good idea.

Your neighbor needs to be trapped in her own cage and get the same treatment! What kind of sorry excuse for a human, bullies an animal. She needs to be turned in for animal cruelty.

ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 11:25 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• We just bought a live trap for this very reason. When we catch one they go to the pound.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 11:18 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I have the exact same problem with my next door neighbor. She lets her inside cats out at night and they always crap in my mulch. I am fed up!!
    stephensmom26

Answer by stephensmom26 at 11:19 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• we have a wild cat who is now our outdoor cat. No idea who he belong to before us but he is a very sweet half bobcat that we named shadow. If the cat has been a pest I would for sure trap it and try to see if you can take it to a shelter or post an ad that you have a cat who would make a great farm cat
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 11:34 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I would be the one with the trap, the hose, AND the big, cat-eating dog. Stray dogs have been a problem for us in the past, with animal control no where near concerned about my brand new, $1200 patio set he chewed up, my $400 screened canopy he made into his bed and chew toy, and my $40,000 car that was scratched when the dog tried to climb in my window to get to my dog.

As for the cats, see if you can get a few people to back you up in that the neighbor has entirely too many cats, take pictures of them, of their leftovers, and ask that the city confiscate the feral cats, neuter, and send them to a neighboring town or city.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 12:44 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• As i said: There is no where to 'turn them in'. When you call the nearest towns and explain situation. They are FULL, always. I've been calling for a year off and on.. We have no ASPCA here at all.

To: ochsmom-- If trapping them and wetting them down is a bad idea (scary maybe for them but, they do dry off and it's better than poisoning , which some people DO)...then my only other choice is to trap and drive to the country and let go? Which is not solving the bigger cat problem. ;-( This must be one of those issues there is just NO good answer.  I am frustrated about it and want a solution.  4 -5 cats hanging about is too many for me.  If it were just one...even 2...I wouldn't complain TOO much.

KellyGirl_TX

Comment by KellyGirl_TX (original poster) at 11:43 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Thank You all for your answers!! ;-)
    KellyGirl_TX

Comment by KellyGirl_TX (original poster) at 11:47 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Damn tips! It costed me not coated me!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:54 PM on Jun. 29, 2011