Is it child abuse to feed your kids potato chips for breakfast?

My friend just brought child abuse charges against her ex for several reasons, and this is one of them. He doesn't cook, never did even when they were together, and never will learn (he is of the mind set that it is women's work and hence is about 150 pounds overweight). My friend knew this when they were together for 7 years, and has been complaining to everyone who will listen about it for months. If she was so concerned, why didn't she say something to him? Or leave food with them while the kids were there? She gets all her food free with food stamps so its not like its money out of her pocket to do it.....Plus the kids only eat there two nights a week, so what's the big deal if they get one weird meal every once in a while? He also feeds them cereal, McDonalds, and other fast food.
My friend has been feeding her kids McDonalds and frozen chicken nuggets for years. Her freaking car stinks like the back room of a McDonalds, for crying out loud. She considers frozen tater tots and french fries to be vegetables.
Honestly, I think if there are problems here they are going to be thrown out because of her ridiculous plan of "getting him" for every little thing he's ever done to hurt her.

So do you think she is just being ridiculous about this? There are other charges, too, but this is the one that really stuck out as going too far. The others are not watching the kids when they are there (he plays videogames) and for giving too much attention to one child and ignoring the other two (emotional abuse of the other 2). Sigh...One of the reasons our courts are full of stupid lawsuits......

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Jun. 29, 2011 in General Parenting

• Chips for breakfast is not abuse. Just a poor parenting choice.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 11:16 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Wow..she's quite an idiot. At least they are eating something..even though it should be healthier. I wouldn't be surprised if the judge laughed in her face.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:17 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• That woman needs a butt whooping. He does too, kinda, maybe just a swift kick. It sounds like yet another reason to "tie up" the courts away from SERIOUS issues and wastes the state's money.
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 11:17 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Child abuse? No, your friend is being ridiculous. Not the best parenting decision, but it's not abuse.
    miss_lisa

Answer by miss_lisa at 11:17 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Not child abuse, just poor choices.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 11:18 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• No it isn't abuse, not the best of choices but not abuse.
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 11:34 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• If it was the only food in the house, then it is neglect. I have a son who asks for them and I'll allow a few before he eats his real breakfast.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 11:24 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• No...lol
    rinamomof2

Answer by rinamomof2 at 11:35 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• How much you wanna bet it doesn't make it to the judge...
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:49 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• What attorney would take this before a judge? All the charges sound far fetched to me.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 2:29 PM on Jun. 29, 2011