Re-ding my question...Is there such a thing as a Christian Witch?

I am just curious about this. I came across some books when I was in Barnes and Noble the other day. Anyone practice this? How exactly does that work? I was under the impression you were frowned upon to even call yourself such.

jujubean1979200

Asked by jujubean1979200 at 11:15 AM on Jun. 29, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Yes, there a few on here in fact.

Here - Can you be Christian and a Witch

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:20 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• IMO: Witchcraft is, in all technicality a craft, not a religion-a practice, and its independent of any particular religious beliefs, though many religions contain practices that are identical to some of the practices of witchcraft, even if they aren't always called "witchcraft"
    While the Bible does have commentary that is seemingly anti-witchcraft, the interpretation of such verses depends on the translation...and, TBH, since not all Christians believe in the Bible as the literal word of God, is pretty irrelevant.

If someone *says* they are a Christian Witch (or Christian Wiccan or ChristoPagan, etc), I'm not going to argue--in all likeliness people have been synchretically following more than one religion since a second one was developed. While I might have an opinion based on the cohesiveness of their particular practices, I'm not going to argue with their personal validity.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 11:26 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Thanks Sabrina. It sounds interesting to me so that is why I asked. I never heard of it before
    jujubean1979200

Comment by jujubean1979200 (original poster) at 11:28 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• It's a question that has come up quite a few times in "my world." So it's something that I made a point to cover in my blog. I think there are lots of misunderstandings about what a witch is and the difference between a witch today and a witch 2000 years ago. What we label a witch today was closer to what they would have considered a doctor or medicine man back then. What they called a witch in biblical times were those who worked with "demons" or "entities" - What we would call sorcery rather than witchcraft.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:35 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Yes, I know of some people who consider themselves to be Christian Witches, and I don't feel anyone has the right to deny them that. I'm not as familiar with witchcraft as I am with the more widely understood religions, but I still recognize it as a valid practice, and I don't think that it is incompatible with Christianity.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:36 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• "IMO: Witchcraft is, in all technicality a craft, not a religion-a practice, and its independent of any particular religious beliefs, though many religions contain practices that are identical to some of the practices of witchcraft, even if they aren't always called witchcraft"

I agree completly with this. ^^ witchcraft in and of itself is a craft. I've met lots of Pagan-Witches, Wiccan-Witches, Cristo/christian-Witches, Jewish-Witches, a Buddhist who practiced a bit of Witchcraft, and one Atheist Witch.

flower_angel

Answer by flower_angel at 12:05 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• and just out of curiosity was the book you happened to see at Barnes and Noble called Path of a Christian Witch by Adelina St. Clair?

and does the book look like this?  ->  The Path of a Christian Witch by Adelina St. Clair: Book Cover

flower_angel

• ^ I just ordered that book... And another one called - ChristoPaganism: An Inclusive Path by Joyce Higginbotham & River Higginbotham

Can't wait to read them... But since I ordered like 15 new books, it could be awhile.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:27 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Biblically speaking no...
    However you have the choice to be whatever you want.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 3:09 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• THAT IS IT! lol. Yup that is the same book. I know what witchcraft is everyone I have just never seen books on the Christian Witch thing I was more or less curious as to what they do and what makes it different from Christian rituals
    jujubean1979200

Comment by jujubean1979200 (original poster) at 3:14 PM on Jun. 29, 2011