Suicide

What does your belief system teach regarding suicide?
What about assisting suicide, is it murder?
Do you think that someone who has tried to kill themselves should be saved against their wishes?

EDIT:

THIS IS NOT A DEBATE.  IF YOU CAN'T PLAY NICE, DON'T BOTHER ANSWERING.

AND...do you think that having a terminal disease v. being depressed makes a difference?

thalassa

Asked by thalassa at 11:40 AM on Jun. 29, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• What does your belief system teach regarding suicide? It doesn't really. If someone is in a place where suicide seems to be the best option, that's theirs to address and make choices on. The fates won't allow anyone to die before their purpose is served, so if they die, their lifes purpose was over anyways.

What about assisting suicide, is it murder?  No. It's called mercy. If your dog is sick, you let them die easily, quickly and with dignity, gramma should have the same right.

Do you think that someone who has tried to kill themselves should be saved against their wishes?  No! It's their life. If they choose to end it that's their business!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:45 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I believe that it is murdering yourself. I used to think about having to save people, and although if the situation arose that I was in a position to save someone I would do it. However working on an ambulance I had a few experiences with this. A Vietnam vet who had a lot more issues than just his PTSD asked me why I saved him. By all rights he should have not made it. I won't give details as I still shudder 19 years afterwards at the sight. I told him for some reason he is supposed to still be here. But there is nothing worse than a failed attempt. When people do this they feel they have no control over anything except living or dying and when they fail, they failed at the only thing they had control over. I don't believe in assisted suicide either, and that includes "humanely" putting your animal down.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 11:47 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I honestly think that it is up for God to judge, but suicide is like murdering oneself basically. There are things to factor in here..like depression, and some medications that have been found to cause children and adults to take that step, so like I said before, only God can truly judge the person's heart and it's intent.

Heathercurlz

Answer by Heathercurlz at 11:52 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Official stance: suicide is sinful
    Practiced stance: Suicide is the result of hopelessness and those that feel so hopeless need love and compassion not judgment

Assisted suicide- not official stance
    My stance: because I believe the overall message of compassion and love- if that is your choice- I will you and that choice-
    I hope to never get to that point, but reality says I might-so yes, I would consider it
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 12:00 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• My personal beliefs don't really say much about suicide. I don't believe it's up to us to judge, I believe that all people return to God regardless, so I don't believe it's an automatic ticket to hell... I don't believe we can really comment on suicide because I'm not sure many of us even understand how it feels to be in a place where suicide even seems like a good idea. I can't imagine the pain and helplessness someone must feel when being in that place, and I won't presume to speak for or against them. All I know is that the fact that anyone can feel that awful is a tragic thing, indeed, and my heart breaks for anyone ever in that position.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:00 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Oh, in terms of medically assisted suicide, or death with dignity, I completely support it. Anyone should have the right to limit their suffering.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:02 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• can of wormsThat can be a sticky question...

stephensmom26

Answer by stephensmom26 at 11:42 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I don't really know what my belief system teaches, but what I don't believe you'd be "refused into heaven" or whatever for taking your own life. I don't think assisting suicide is MURDER but I think it's morally horrible, I just can't think of a proper "punshiment" for it. I think yes a person who tried to kill themselves should be saved, because most people who try to commit suicide are in a horrible state mentally and may not have wanted to die had they "been thinking clearly".
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• If someone wants to kill themselves then let them.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 12:07 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I don't have a belief system, but I personally feel that suicide is selfish and for the weak, for the most part. But not everyone is as strong as other people, and everyone has their limit.

Assisting suicide depends on the situation. If you're helping your friend kill themselves because they are a dramatic person and want attention, I find that wrong. You should be trying to get them help, and not the deadly kind.

But if you're talking about assistance as in the Dr. Kevorkain type, I'm all for it. If I had a terminal illness that was very painful and was going to slowly kill me I wouldn't want to suffer. I would not want to sit in a hospital, or at home, pumped full of pain killers that didn't
    do anything for me except keep me alive to suffer longer. Put me to sleep forever, and out of my misery! End my and my family's suffering. I don't want my family to watch me suffer and slowly die.

mrsziemann

Answer by mrsziemann at 12:23 PM on Jun. 29, 2011