When (if ever) can I give him citrus fruits again?

my 21 month old son broke out in this crazy rash a few weeks ago. it was red bumps all over the left side of his torso, arm and leg.
the doctor said it was excema and it flared up because of citrus fruit. he gave us a cream and told us to eliminate all citrus fruits.
I haven't given him any strawberries, or oranges, etc since then and it has cleared up about 90%.
does this mean he is flat out allergic to them? will he grow out? how long should I wait before giving him any strawberries or oranges, if ever?

ElsaSalsaaa

Asked by ElsaSalsaaa at 11:52 AM on Jun. 29, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Actually SabrenaLeigh I beg to differ. Eczema can be an allergic reaction. If a particular food is triggering a flare-up I would want to confirm with an allergist (that had experience with food allergies) whether or not it was an actual allergy. My BIL, for example, is allergic to eggs but can tolerate small amounts baked into things - meaning he can eat cake. ha! Any time he gets too relaxed, though, and stops being careful about what egg is in and is not in, he has a flare-up. In his case it's absolutely an allergic reaction.

OP - I'd take your daughter to an allergist to find out if she is allergic and specifically to what. The allergist may offer to do an oral challenge if there's no indication of an allergy or if there's indication she's outgrowing it (down the line.) Having a food allergic child, though, I tend to prefer to take the doctor's advice than make assumptions on my own about when and if to try again.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 12:42 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• It means the citrus is causing his excema, not that he is allergic. And the doctor said eliminate citrus so that that means dont give him any! Maybe try when he is much older but I certainly wouldnt within say 5yrs!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 11:55 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• He could outgrown them but I would be careful for about the next year before trying again.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:55 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Take him to an allergy specialist.
    mrsziemann

Answer by mrsziemann at 12:08 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I would only go by what your peditrician says.
    sdowlin

Answer by sdowlin at 1:04 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I agree with IDMRMOM - My son gets ezcema triggered reactions from foods he is allergic to - it is how we know he's allergic to something since apparently its something we/dr's cant narrow down
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:29 PM on Jun. 29, 2011