I HATE the fourth of July!

Anyone else? It's almost the fourth and for the past week we are hearing firecrackers. The actual holiday is like a war-zone around our house. The minute our golden hears one he starts freaking out. Don't get me wrong I know people enjoy it but it gets him freaking out and it just seems to affect the whole household. Have gotten tranquilizers in the past from the vet but really don't like doping him up :(

Carolannie

Asked by Carolannie at 11:52 AM on Jun. 29, 2011 in Pets

• They are JUST fireworks Imogine, are they really THAT more important than our children and animals?
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 12:05 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• The holiday doesnt annoy me, just how some celebrate it! I have young kids, so the noises scare them and its always when they are sleeping and they get woken up! and yes its just one day, imogine, but it affects my kids for weeks-months afterwards
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 11:58 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• The holiday is not what is wrong, it is your neighbors. Can you call the police and complain?
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 12:02 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• It's one day! ONE LOUSY DAY!
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 12:03 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• All fireworks are banned in my county of Texas. No fireworks for us this year.. kinda makes me sad that my kids won't get to see them but like you, I'd rather not have a war with neighbors who can't respect the time of day or night and shoot off all day and night. Scares my cats too!
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 12:09 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I hear ya, New's Years too. My cat lives under my bed during those times. My poor Gabby girl (my Border Collie) just shivers. I normally try to keep her in my bedroom, with some jazz music playing and dim lights. I'll curl up on the bed with her.
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 11:54 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Awww! poor puppy!
    I feel ya on this one. My cat Weasley CRIES like a baby when he hears fireworks. What pisses me off is that we literally live 100 feet from a public park where they can be set off. Why do they have to do it 10 feet from my house?!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:58 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

===

I guess so since you're making a big deal about it. I didn't think they were but someone's gotta make a big deal about it. THey're just a way for people to celebrate! My kids don't like the noise either but they still like the fireworks! I'm not gonna tell the neighbors not to light their fireworks just because it's a noise every kid doesn't like until they're old enough to realize that it's JUST NOISE!
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 12:43 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• If your dog gets scared what's the big deal? It's a natural emotion for an animal. What's the worst that could happen? It's not killing him. It's only once a year and it's beyond your control. Take your dog and go somewhere else for the day! It's a holiday after all! Make it fun!

As for the kids being scared, it's a great way to teach them that it's NOT scary.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:57 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• No, I actually really enjoy the holiday. Firecrackers are illegal here so you don't hear them too much beforehand.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Jun. 29, 2011