Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

5 Bumps

I can't find my social security card. What do I tell my new boss?

I just got hired and I have been in and out of the office doing paperwork before I can start working. Today, my new boss calls me to tell me that she needs a copy of my social security card. We set up a meeting at 2. After I got off the phone, I went to get my card and it isn't where I normally keep it. I have been looking for almost an hour. I still have two hours but if I can''t find it, what do I tell her? I don't want her to change her mind about hiring me. I know that I can get a new one, but I have to have it before I can start working. Any suggestions on how to gracefully tell my boss that I can't find my card without looking like an idiot?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Jun. 29, 2011 in Money & Work

Answers (13)
  • Flat out tell her and then get a new one.

    Answer by pookiekins34 at 12:01 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

  • Just say you can't find it, call her now, or go to the local SS office, they should be able to print a new one for you in time,, this is not an uncommon thing!

    Answer by kimigogo at 12:01 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

  • Run down to the SS Administration. Apply for a new one and they will print you out a sheet of paper that your employer will accept in lieu of the card until it comes in the mail.

    Answer by texasgurl33 at 12:02 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

  • BTW, Congrats on the new job!!!!

    Answer by texasgurl33 at 12:02 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

  • Do what texasqurl33 suggested ! That's a really good idea !... And, good luck with your new job !...

    Answer by IndigoRose at 12:15 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

  • I lost mine years ago. I think a lot of people lose it. Just tell them. You know the number, that should be enough.

    Answer by mompam at 12:18 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

  • If you can't get a copy of it today, you could offer to give the number and provide a copy as soon as you receive your new card. However, I am fairy certain it is to document your identity for your employment papers, and there is a list of alternative identification items that they could accept for this purpose. I would call them now and see what they would like you to do for today.

    Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 12:23 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

  • Tell her the truth but in the mean time if you have a paystub or W-2 from a previous employment that has your social provide that until you get a original or find the one misplaced.

    Answer by musicmom08 at 12:27 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

  • If it is the complete the Form I-9 (re employment eligibility) then there is a list of acceptable documents under List C. A birth certificate can establish employment authorization in lieu of presentation of a social security card.

    Answer by tasches at 1:04 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

  • If it is "to" complete ...

    Answer by tasches at 1:05 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN