I can't find my social security card. What do I tell my new boss?

I just got hired and I have been in and out of the office doing paperwork before I can start working. Today, my new boss calls me to tell me that she needs a copy of my social security card. We set up a meeting at 2. After I got off the phone, I went to get my card and it isn't where I normally keep it. I have been looking for almost an hour. I still have two hours but if I can''t find it, what do I tell her? I don't want her to change her mind about hiring me. I know that I can get a new one, but I have to have it before I can start working. Any suggestions on how to gracefully tell my boss that I can't find my card without looking like an idiot?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Jun. 29, 2011 in Money & Work

• Flat out tell her and then get a new one.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 12:01 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Just say you can't find it, call her now, or go to the local SS office, they should be able to print a new one for you in time,, this is not an uncommon thing!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:01 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Run down to the SS Administration. Apply for a new one and they will print you out a sheet of paper that your employer will accept in lieu of the card until it comes in the mail.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 12:02 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• BTW, Congrats on the new job!!!!
    texasgurl33

• Do what texasqurl33 suggested ! That's a really good idea !... And, good luck with your new job !...
    IndigoRose

Answer by IndigoRose at 12:15 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I lost mine years ago. I think a lot of people lose it. Just tell them. You know the number, that should be enough.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:18 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• If you can't get a copy of it today, you could offer to give the number and provide a copy as soon as you receive your new card. However, I am fairy certain it is to document your identity for your employment papers, and there is a list of alternative identification items that they could accept for this purpose. I would call them now and see what they would like you to do for today.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 12:23 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Tell her the truth but in the mean time if you have a paystub or W-2 from a previous employment that has your social provide that until you get a original or find the one misplaced.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 12:27 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• If it is the complete the Form I-9 (re employment eligibility) then there is a list of acceptable documents under List C. A birth certificate can establish employment authorization in lieu of presentation of a social security card.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 1:04 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• If it is "to" complete ...
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 1:05 PM on Jun. 29, 2011