Morality of choosing a child's genetics...

Should parents be able to choose a child's gender or other genetic make-up? Do you think it goes against your belief system's teachings, even if its not specifically forbidden? What about parents that know they are carriers of something like CF or other diseases?

thalassa

Asked by thalassa at 12:00 PM on Jun. 29, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm not opposed to screening out for disease reasons, for gender, hair or eye color then yep I think it is shady at best
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:06 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I don't think parents should be able to choose gender.. I think it should just happen as it happens.

SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 12:06 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I can understand screening at a very early (zygote) level of development for specific inherited disease, just to spare the suffering of the potential offspring. But other than that, I think the potential harm outweighs the right of the parent to have a choice. Nothing religious about it, I just think it's common sense (and we can already see gender imbalances in some countries due to gender selection.)
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 4:27 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I don't have anything personally or religiously against it. Then again, I don't believe God is active in the genetic process, in terms of literally creating each and every one of our bodies. I believe He lets the reproductive system work on it's own, and I don't believe that being involved with that is wrong.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:07 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• My religious beliefs have no restrictions on such actions. Personally I think it's pointless unless it is in the case of screening for diseases, especially those that could drastically inhibit and restrict the life of the intended fetus.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:15 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I don't have a belief system but it is not only wrong but dangerous.  Countries where this is allowed to take place are already feeling the effects of gender imbalance.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 12:16 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I wouldn't do it but I don't care if anyone else does.
    1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 12:16 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I'm not religious, but I would worry it would screw with nature too much. We might end up with way more of one gender than the other. People having less children than they originally would have because they can engineer their first child any way they want. The weeding out of certain genetic traits that nature was smart enough to create that we don't know the purpose for or the consequence for eliminating, etc.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 12:19 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• If it's safe, I say go for it. But so far it has yet to be proven completely possible let alone safe.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:23 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• It is not forbidden in my faith, but there are serious moral implications. I would never "design" my baby.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 3:01 PM on Jun. 29, 2011