• In the Spotlight:

How do I get my 12 week old to fall asleep on his own?

He still falls asleep in my arms. I have tried putting him down with a full belly, I tried a music/lights soother, I have tried staying in the room with him, I have tried the noises of a ticking clock and a humidifier. He is content for only a matter of minutes, before he screams. I have tried seeing if he will just fall asleep, but he gets madder and madder, no matter how tired he is. Sometimes he can even be dead asleep and when I put him down he will wake up. What else can I do or is this normal at this age?

expectoct

Asked by expectoct at 12:23 AM on Dec. 15, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you tried swaddling him and doing the shush pat method?
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 12:27 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• he hates being swaddled, and the shush pat does no good
    expectoct

Answer by expectoct at 12:31 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• we.
    Changed them and fed them with lil or no lights on. swaddled and put the t-shirt i was wearing by them. And let them cry. They cried for about 10mins thenn out like a light. Babies cry to calm down and to be less active. So 15 min aint goign to kill your lo. If its goes longer go in do not pick him up. pat him saying mama says its nightnight...something along those lines.

now my boys are 17 months in toddler beds. I tell them to go nightnight. they crawl up in there beds and lay down. they cant sleep with the lights on either.
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 12:35 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• That still seems sort of young...some people get lucky, I always bf'd to sleep for at least 6 months.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 12:39 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• get "good night sleep night" the book. it saved my life
    jambalover

Answer by jambalover at 12:44 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I am going crazy - I have put him down 4 times tonight, began at 9, it is 11:15. He falls alseep in my arms, I put him in his bed and he instantly wakes up and cries
    expectoct

Answer by expectoct at 1:15 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Well, it's really early to expect him to do anything but what he is doing. SOME babies will sleep on their own this young...but that has everything to do with them and nothing at all to do with what you do. They sleep on their own when they're ready for it.

Consider co-sleeping. It's a lifesaver and it's what they're programmed to do anyway. Also check out "The No Cry Sleep Solution" by Elizabeth Pantley.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:36 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• i had to have my daughter sleep on my chest for long time...i loved it;...dont rush you baby into falling asleep alone...only 12 weeks old......enjoy this time cause they grow up soooooooo fast!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    nesamama

Answer by nesamama at 1:55 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Falling asleep in my arms is one thing, I did that 5 times last night - the second I put him down, he woke up. I let him cry for about 20 minutes, he never slept! The second I would pick him up he would calm right down and be out in a couple of minutes!
    expectoct

Answer by expectoct at 9:04 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• i co slept with my son until i stopped bfing at 4 1/2 months, as soon as he was on formula it was like a switch was flipped and he was sleeping through the night alone in a matter of days. i think its best as long as your bfing to cosleep, it is so much easier that way and 12 weeks is still very young and it sounds like you lo is not ready to separate at this point, i would wait a little bit but in the meanwhile keep him on a schedule, go to bed the same time every night so that when he is ready it will be an easier transition.
    Anonymous