Did you give birth to your baby at 36 weeks?

I am supposed to have a c-section at 36 weeks. Is the baby healthy enough to come out that early? Will that mean that he will have to stay in the hospital for longer?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:09 PM on Jun. 29, 2011 in Pregnancy

• i had my son at 37 weeks and i think it's going to be the same with my daughter too... but it wasn't by c-section though... but i was in the hospital for 4 days but i was do to me not my son he was healthy..

i am more then sure it will be the same with you too... just know that the doctor is doing this for you and the baby this early for a reason and that everything is going to be okay.
    mommys2cupcakes

Answer by mommys2cupcakes at 12:14 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I had my girls at 31 weeks, they stayed in nicu for a while but they are 4 years old and as healthy as can be now :)
    momma_twins7317

Answer by momma_twins7317 at 12:21 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I had my daughter at 36 weeks and she was and is fine. We didn't stay any longer than normal after a c-section. She is 3 1/2 years old now.
    mommyflynn

Answer by mommyflynn at 12:33 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• From my understanding usually 36 weeks is fine. What does your doctor think? Ask lots of questions. Sonograms can give some idea. There are more tests out there. We had one child at 37 weeks and his brother at 33. Both emergency C sections. They were small, but their lungs, intestines and hearts were in pretty good shape, they just needed to grow. They were tube fed to lessen calorie burning, but the first guy fought tubes so hard, they eventually gave him a bottle.Their livers weren't mature yet and they had to be under bilirubin lights for a time. Both stayed in the hospital for 4 weeks, until they reached minimum weight. Some babies in the NICU were sent home with monitors. Ours didn't need them. So it varies.This was years ago and I suspect the care is even better now.
    oddfox

Answer by oddfox at 12:54 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• either 36 weeks or 37 weeks is considered full term...but it really depends on how much your baby weighs at the moment and whether he is healthy or not.... so if he or she is born right now he would be consider full term... unless he wasn't weighing wat he is supose to at the moment or if he had problems. so you should be good. hope this helps
    Warrenbaby

Answer by Warrenbaby at 1:45 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• My daughter was born at 37 weeks and she was healthier than her 40 week brother!

Answer by missanc at 1:51 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I've had two 36 weekers, both had to stay an extra day in the hospital, one due to jaundice and the other to hypoglycemia. Of course I got to stay with them, so it's not like I had to leave the hospital without my baby.

A 36 weeker is considered late pre term, they are not full term babies. It doesn't matter if they are 4 pounds or if they are 9 pounds, they are preemies. I do know of a couple of people who had 36 weekers that had to stay in the NICU so it really depends on your baby.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 2:44 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• It really depends on a lot of things. 36 weeks seems early to me. Have you (or will you) have steroid shots to help with lung development? I think that's the biggest issues when a baby is born at 36 weeks. My twins were induced at 37 weeks. Only one had a problem. 1st it was that his sugar level was dropping. The 2nd was that his potassium was low. When he was 5 days old, the issues resolved and he was discharged. He weighed only 3 lb 14 oz when he came home.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 3:20 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I had my son the day I turned 37 weeks.
    Love138

Answer by Love138 at 9:40 PM on Jun. 29, 2011