Stay at home moms & working moms

What are the pros and cons of being a stay at home mom and what are the pros and cons of being a working mom?

p.s. working mom=mom works outside the home
just to clarify.

Bugzmomma

Asked by Bugzmomma at 12:18 PM on Jun. 29, 2011 in Money & Work

• I have been a stay at home for 13 years and I love it. That is just what I chose to do.
    stephensmom26

Answer by stephensmom26 at 12:19 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I'm a working mom, I'm not ashamed to admit that I am not cut out to be a SAHM, I need to work for my own sanity and self worth
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:23 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I have been a SAHM for 7 years now. I miss being around people, so now that DS is in school, I volunteer there daily, in the library and wherever else I am needed :) I am getting back into the workforce slowly, sans paycheck, I know everyone at his school, and now I am on the PTO. I also miss having money do spend on whatever I want, but always being available for my son is more important than wants.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 12:23 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• SAHM pro - You don't have to worry about missing anything. You have the advantage of always being there.
    SAHM con - You don't have the luxury of leaving your job behind at the end of the day. I have also heard of some mothers feeling isolated.

Working Mom pro - You get to have adult time with other people. The income is also a benefit.
    Working Mom con - You miss the day-to-day discovery with your child. There is also the worry of if your child is ok in their daycare situation.

I am a working mom by necessity.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 12:25 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I hate being a SAHM so I am alongside peanutsmommy with it. I am at a place where I can't work because my contract expired last month and we move in August/September so I am considering myself a Stuck At Home Mom instead of a Stay At Home Mom. Sad, isn't it?
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:25 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I've done both.

Working Pros: More money, excuse to buy more clothes for myself, time to be an adult with other adults, recognition and identity that isn't derived from your relationship with family (only being someone else's mom or wife), my kids appreciated time with me more when I was away on business a lot, didn't get any passive-aggressive BS from the working moms that I see now that I'm a SAHM.

Stay at home Pros: more time to volunteer and get involved with my kids' activities, more time to pursue my own interests/hobbies, better planned and executed meals, less stress (I had a lot of migraines when I was a working mom). I know the families of my kids' friends better now that I have time to host and schmooze at get-togethers. (Yeah, I probably could have done that when I was working, but I just didn't have the energy then.)
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 12:28 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I've never worked outside after my dd. Now that she's almost 9 years old, I feel that I need to do something, to make money (her expenses are getting bigger as she's getting older) and to have accomplishments for myself. One big negative of staying at home obviously is the money factor. I have to watch our budget and can't do some of the stuff that working moms do for their kids. On the other hand, I see a lot of kids at school whose moms work and are never present at any of the functions (field trips, parties) at school. Bottom line is, we have to do what works for us. Every family is different and every mom is different. Some moms are better moms when they stay at home and some are happier and better moms when they work outside.
    Ashoonik

Answer by Ashoonik at 12:28 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• pros (for me) of being sahm:
    no schedule to follow, just the occasional appointments
    i have LOTS of time to do things for just me (during the school sessions)

cons:
    no adult interaction, conversation
    boredom (how many times can you sweep the floor or wipe out the sinks?)
    its made my OCD more intense

pros of working outside:
    household duties were shared by dh and i
    i really REALLY really loved making people look beautiful, and because of that, the appreciation for my work was more evident.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:29 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• SAHM: You're always there. This is both a pro and a con, IMO! No break. WOHM: Money, adult interraction, contributing financially to the household...
    1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 12:34 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• At this point I can only see the pros of being a SAHM because I cannot afford child care. It would cost me to work rather than having extra income. I love tha fact that I am always here when my kids need me. I dont have to struggle to find a sitter if one falls through... I dont have to ask for time off work for dr appointments or parent/teacher conferences. I am always here if my kids get sick. I was home to watch my 10 month old (at the time) take his first steps. I have plenty of time to do my housework and play with my kids, I dont have to cram it all in a couple of hours before bedtime... I have worked outside of the home as well and I am not against working outside the home but I would have to find a REALLY good paying job to make it worth my time...
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 12:41 PM on Jun. 29, 2011