How do you get dog fur out of the carpet?

We vacuum all the time, but still seem to have dog fur on the carpet. We can't afford one those really nice vacuums, we are stuck with what we have. Does anyone have any tricks to get the fur out?

AF4life

Asked by AF4life at 12:23 PM on Jun. 29, 2011 in Pets

• Your hand. I know it sounds silly and tedious, but if you firmly run your hand over a spot in the carpet, you'll be amazed at how much hair comes up.
    Y.B.normal

Answer by Y.B.normal at 12:24 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Put a rubber glove on your hand and rub it over the carpet/upholstery

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:25 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I have a kirby vacuum that does a great job. I did not pay full price for it either. Got mine off of craigslist. I also brush my pets with a furmintor brush. That helps cut down on the shedding so there is less hair to vacuum up.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 3:39 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• You can use carpet sprinkles, or even baking soda; it will cut down on static and make vacuuming easier.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 12:25 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• We bought one of the bagless ones from walmart for like $40 and it has worked great. it might be time to replace it with a new one because it is wearing out.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 12:25 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I have a rubber brush that is ideal for pulling stubborn fur (cat) out of our carpets. It's especially good on the stairs. I go over the area with the rubber brush and then vacuum for a really nice looking carpet.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 12:27 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Lint roller?
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:34 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Lint roller doesn't seem to work very well. I will have to try the other things. Where did you find a rubber brush, don't think I have ever seen one in the store.
    AF4life

Comment by AF4life (original poster) at 12:37 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• With an inexpensive vacuum there can be a problem with your vacuum if it's leaving that much dog hair on carpet, IMO. I've been there,Lol..Check your bag or empty container well first, also check to see if the roller bar underneath is actually 'turning' when on...also, how is the suction. They are notorius for having weak suction. ---the rubber brushes are at walmart...I have one for furniture but it has its drawbacks to like...it's hard to get the hair back OFF the rubber brush. Ugh, I've tried lint rollers, pledge lint picker upper thing...ugh...nothing worked good enough for me. I bought an Oreck Little Hero and it gets pet hair off my furniture like you can't imagine! don't have the carpet vacuum though. It has a flat attachment ?? I feel for your problem..it was driving me NUTS!
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 10:52 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• We have this vaccuum. Eureka Pet Pal. It is not expensive. The little paddle on the side is for picking up hair and when you put iit back in the container the vaccuum suckes the hair off. Also it has the pet paw that is great at getting pet hair off. I use it for our dogs bed.

Shaylyn318

Answer by Shaylyn318 at 10:38 AM on Jun. 30, 2011