Diaper removing at only 14 months!!

My daughter is removing her diaper and depositing her poo just where it falls in the crib. She has done it a few times, but today was the worst! This morning she had another poo removal and then a few hrs later took her diaper off and peed all over her crib while I attended to her sister for a few moments. I have heard this is a sign of potty training but seriously at 14 months? My older daughter did this too but she was closer to 2. Also my daughter was a preterm baby, not quite a premie but born right at 1 mon early. Should I start the training. She isn't even saying full words yet! SO CONFUSED!

sdowlin

Asked by sdowlin at 12:29 PM on Jun. 29, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• DD went through this as well. if we put her to bed in just a diaper and a shirt or one onesie she would dig in there and make a mess. finally we learned to put her in pants or something that was harder to remove. I don't think it is potty training as much as exploration of something "cool" they found. gross for us but it will pass
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 12:31 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• My ds did this too. So frustrating!! He was around 1 when he started, he thought it was funny and something new he could do. Our solution, we used diaper pins on each side. He would jerk and fret over not being able to get the diaper off, but no more pee and poop everywhere!! Eventually he stopped. Give the pins a try. I personally think it is too early for potty training.
    AngieBry

Answer by AngieBry at 12:36 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• My DD was also horrible about this!! We would safety pin her PJ top to her JJ bottom. Or safety pin the zipper up in one pieces.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:43 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Thanks guys! I also think that it is too early to be potty training. My mom had my one DD potty trained for peeing around 1-1/2 and poo took much longer, but my mom was the one watching her for me and she swears by it. Personally I think when the child is just starting to walk steadily on her own, isn't talking yet, and all that potty training just isn't an option. When I she has developed more skills I can address potty training!
    sdowlin

Comment by sdowlin (original poster) at 12:44 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Thats tough because I wouldn't say it is too early because of her age. My son was completely potty trained at 14 months but he wanted to and did everything amazingly early, but by her actions like peeing or pooping in the crib after she removes her own diaper doesn't scream out ready! She is probably just goin through a phase and tryin to figure out the connection between what the diaper is for and where and what that stuff is coming out of her! Unfourtunately leaving a big mess in the process for you, but my advice would be to take her to the potty and explain what is going on and show her you put your pee pee in the potty and you may be surprised she could understand and stop even though she doesn't speak much doesn't mean she doesn't understand more than you would think, so show and small word explain and hope for the best without pushing her and see what results you get! Good Luck!!
    littleguys_rule

Answer by littleguys_rule at 12:54 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• my son went through this as well we just starting putting underware over his diaper. he couldnt feel the tabs so he just went on about his day. its worth a try!
    victoriak12708

Answer by victoriak12708 at 10:09 AM on Jul. 2, 2011