The "Slut Walk" Event in Houston Texas?

My first reaction to seeing the title was great just another way for women to dress provocative! To my surprise, this is an event that raises a controversial statement made by most people about the way a woman should not dress if they want to avoid sexual assault. Well, these women say that what they wear is not a justified reason for any form of sexual abuse!

What do you think about this viewpoint and this event?

Here is their statement:

SlutWalk first began in Toronto, where on January 24th, 2011, a representative of the Toronto Police gave shocking insight into the Force’s view of sexual assault by stating: “women should avoid dressing like sluts in order not to be victimized”. SLUTWALK HOUSTON exists to condemn a victim-blaming culture, to empower victims and survivors of sexual violence and to promote the respect and involvement of the community to keep its members safe. Sexual assault is NEVER justified and victims are NEVER at fault. Our name is intentionally subversive and intended to call out the punishment of sexual agency in our society. We are here to challenge the victim-blaming mentality in the media and in popular culture. This is about the SYSTEMIC structure of victim-blaming that exists in our society. We recognize that sexual violence impacts every facet of our community across lines of race, gender, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status and spirituality. Everyone has the right to be safe. This is a come-as-you-are, whoever-you-are event. It is open to all genders, survivors and allies. We do not require that anyone dress in a specific way, but seek only to spread the message that rape has nothing to do with what a person is wearing. We encourage and invite individuals, institutions and businesses to be responsible for the well-being of our city and to join us. The Slut Walk Facebook Link

Gingerwheel

Asked by Gingerwheel at 1:06 PM on Jun. 29, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• LOL. Too bad we moved away from Houston. I like the message, but wonder about how people will take the delivery (not that this should stop anyone since I think the message is pretty clear). I hope the event does well.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:09 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I think it is a good idea! So many younger people now don't think about what they are wearing and that their clothes are saying things too! Yes, dressing is a way to express yourself but if you dress and demean yourself how can you expect someone not to get the incorrect idea? I'm not saying we all need to go around dressed like Eskimos but cover it, i dont need to see your chest falling out or the bottom of you butt.. eew
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 1:10 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• sorry, i read it wrong. i agree that rape has nothing to do with clothing.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:11 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I totally agree. So if theres a rapist on a beach and women are wearing two pieces that makes them sluts and he should be able to attack them... I agree you bring more attention to yourself dressing provocatively but it doesnt mean you want to be raped.
    sugamama3

Answer by sugamama3 at 1:11 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I agree that rape has nothing to do with clothing, i agree with the message. But...at the same time, you will never find ME in a dangerous neighborhood with all my goods hanging out.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:14 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I agree with the concept that dresing slutting is in no way sending the message of inviting Rape...no means no, even if you're naked.

I do think, however, that dressing slutty is sending the message that a woman is down for casually hooking up sex....which I get some femenist find that empowering or something to do that, I just personally think it's demeaning to womanhood.
    Dkhilly

Answer by Dkhilly at 1:21 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I think the message is a good one. I wonder what those people say when a fully clothed woman is sexually assaulted? This doesn't just happen to those women dressed like "Sluts", this happens to all kinds of women, and the way a woman is dressed does not give some ass the right to abuse her because he thinks that he can if she has a short skirt and tight shirt on!
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 1:23 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I've got a book at home titled "Slut" that addresses this issue and other surrounding displays of feminine sexuality. I can't remember the author but it was pretty good.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 1:32 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I love the message they are sending. A woman has the right to dress however she wants to and it doesn't give anyone an excuse to abuse her.
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 3:14 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• We had one here in San Diego, and I went and it was so much fun and I absolutely love the message that it sends!
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 3:34 PM on Jun. 29, 2011