How do I get my son to be interested in using the potty?

I have been working with my son since he was 2 yrs old on potty training. He turned 3 Feb of this year. He will poop and pee and doesnt even seem to phase him he could care less. One thing that I keep in mind is his Daddy is Deployed, and from all the classes I took they act up and do "crazy" things from this seperation, they compare the things they do, to things a child would do if the parent had died! any tips would be helpful! Thanks

armywife9703

Asked by armywife9703 at 1:13 PM on Jun. 29, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Consistancy is key! Gotta be on top of it. Maybe every 30 mins to and hour have him try to go use the toilet. Rewards are always helpful. Stickers or candy or a new toy for going #2. If you are keeping it consistant and he still isn't responding well he may just not be ready. Perhaps take a break for a week and then try again. Not making a big deal about accidents is very important too!
    staynhomewith2

Answer by staynhomewith2 at 1:24 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• With my son i got him interested by letting him peepee like "spiderman" he would climb up on the toilet facing the tank squat down and pee. It wasnt the most conventional way but it worked. And for poopoo i would tell him that the toilet is hungry and he had to feed it poopoo. i would go in the bathroom and make the toilet seat talk to him..it got him interested but it still took time i refused to put a pull up on him and eventually he got it.
    MonkeyMommyNJ

Answer by MonkeyMommyNJ at 11:35 PM on Jun. 29, 2011