Picky eater

I have a 4 yr old DS who is very picky when it comes to eating. Most of the time he takes two bites and says I'm done. Any ideas on how to make meals enjoyable?

luvmyboys11

Asked by luvmyboys11 at 1:16 PM on Jun. 29, 2011 in Kids' Health

• When my kids don't want to eat something or try something I usually request they eat 2-3 bites of it and then they will get some sort of reward.
    staynhomewith2

Answer by staynhomewith2 at 1:19 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Get him involved. Let him pick and help prepare (stir, spread, etc.) some of the food.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 1:19 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• No idea. My son does the same thing, I just try to get him to eat a few more bites. If he gets hungry, a little while later I try to get him to finish his dinner. He has been getting better and will now sit and eat more. I also give him pediasure when he really doesn't eat good!
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 1:19 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I have a 15 yr old dd who is the pickiest kid on the planet. Seriously!! she will not eat much of anything healthy!! I need some tips too. Out of all 6 of my kids ,she takes the cake,
    pinkflowerpetal

Answer by pinkflowerpetal at 1:27 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• My son was real bad about it around 3 and 4, would only want...chicken noodle soup, carrots, pb and jelly or chicken nuggets it seemed and thats it! It sucked so bad and he is now almost 6 and still kinda picky but coming out of it. I had people tell me all different kinds of things to try and tried them ALL with no luck, finally asked doc if he was going to become un healthy eating so little of things, and he suggested vitamins to fill the gaps and lots of juice and milk good too for nutrients. But he said he would be healthy but never give up trying to put new foods on his plate and don't make a fuss about it just put it in front of him and walk away...and I started refusing my son any sort of junk food or candy unless he would eat somethig healthy first and that worked really well. Just dont push too hard I'd say and he will come around as he grows cuz we all know how growing boys eat when they are older, it will change!
    littleguys_rule

Answer by littleguys_rule at 1:28 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Well you can try and make the food in to shapes of animals, I know they have sandwich cutters that look like dinosaurs, if not you can try to make a game out of it. If that doesn't work I hear that Pedi-sure is really good and helps your child in what they are missing in their diet. Hope this helps, best of luck...
    MommyC23

Answer by MommyC23 at 1:32 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I say keep persisting! By stepdaughter was like that as a baby - and she's 10 and STILL a picky eater because her mom (she lives with her) never persisted, she just let her eat whatever she wanted. Now she only eats garbage (donuts, cookies, chocolate milk, etc) - she has 4 cavities already and im sure many more to come! so, keep persisting and dont give anything else until they finally eat it!
    SweetPieMama24

Answer by SweetPieMama24 at 1:35 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Thanks for all the support and good ideas.
    luvmyboys11

Comment by luvmyboys11 (original poster) at 1:41 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• This seems to be a really good cookbook to get picky eaters to chow down..... It has worked for a lot of my friends most picky eaters!

momof2redhedz

Answer by momof2redhedz at 6:51 PM on Jul. 4, 2011