In your opinion, do you think our children will correct some of our nation's mistakes or do you think we will continue to go downhill?

Note: This question was asked with residents of the United States in mind and assuming our children will be running the country 20-50 years from now. However, I welcome everyone who has an opinion about this question!

Why do I ask this?

I am a 28 year old female with only some college under her belt and I have worked in the restaurant industry for 10 years. When I use to serve people their beers and shots, this was a topic of conversation that I heard daily! The older adults felt their kids are destined to a terrible life because they viewed this generation of kids as people who are selfish, pot users, and show no interest in the future. But, the young adults felt that their generation will fix the future with their easy going spirits by showing more understanding to the diverse topics that trouble our nation. (The previous statement was assessed by myself over 10 years working in various bars, clubs, restaurants, golf courses and country clubs close to Dallas, Texas and surrounding cities)

How do you feel about the future generations to come? What will happen to the United States?

Gingerwheel

Asked by Gingerwheel at 1:22 PM on Jun. 29, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• They'll fix some problems, new one will come up, and they'll make some mistakes too. My DS is only 4 but i know he'll have a positive impact on his community.

Boo on parents who raise their children so poorly that they believe they'll take us to hell in a handbasket. Why would they raise such shitty people?
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 1:29 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• If our children do not stop teaching disrespect, low to no morals, party time instead of work time our grands aren't going to have the common sense to save us it all seems hopeless but i keep praying that there will be some kind of turnaround.
    Auntilanna

Answer by Auntilanna at 1:31 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Ginger, the world has been going to hell in a handbasket since the days of Sophocles.

Disregard the doomsayers.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:32 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Do I think that our world will improve with our children and grandchildren. No. I think it will stay pretty much the same. We live in a country of entitlement where some people don't think they have to earn anything for themselves. In the 15th century these people would have starved to death, but now we give them food and places to live.
    HollyBoBolly

Answer by HollyBoBolly at 1:52 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• lol good point gdiamante....still there are recorded times in history where times were better and times were worse. What will it say in the books centuries from now about our time?
    Gingerwheel

Comment by Gingerwheel (original poster) at 1:53 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Hard to say. It depends on how many of them are still living here. Did anyone see the recent 60 mins epi where some Companies are now outsourcing their employees' medical care to foreign countries? The biggest provider is in Thailand- bypass surgeries, hip replacements all sorts of plastic procedures...all at a fractional of the cost. Most of the practitioners have some training in the US and speak English-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 2:10 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Depends, the kids that come from groups that want change, smaller government, no wars, I think they will keep fighting!

Now the kids that see their parents siting around doing nothing and getting money from the government, they may want to jump on the gravy train? These areas where these people live are always high in crime.

So I don't know?
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 2:41 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I mostly agree with gammie on this one. Some people do raise their children to be responsible, hard-working, productive citizens.

But, there are a great many who teach their children that they can do no wrong, no morals, terrible morals, drug and alcohol use and dependency, how to live on welfare, etc. There are others who don't teach their children anything. Their children run the streets, hang out with gangs, get into criminal activity at a very young age, and respect nothing (including themselves). There are parents who teach their children that it's ok to kill your unborn child but terrible to allow the state to punish a murderer. There are parents who live to sue others and pass that along.

We're at a tipping point. We can't afford any more socialism ... and that second list is a lot longer than the first one.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 3:03 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I dn't think things will be any worse. My kids are all adults and they have good jobs, nice homes, they respect themselves and others. They have ener been in jail. They care what happens in their neighborhoods, and at work. They do not want to be in Givernment though. Too bad because they have moral standarsd and a strong sense of right and wrong. They hve tons of friends who are exactly the same---wonderful people.
    I really do not feel that this generation "feels entitled", That word "entitlement" is a "buzz word", a fad , a word people use to feel that they are really smart and with it. SIlly. Welfare and being lazy has never been a part of our community, nor our friends and family and acquaintences. We take care of ourselves. So does our community.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 4:10 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• have ener been in jail
    NEVER been in jail.
    Typos typos typos
    they haven't.
    I really don't think that there is a reason to be so depressed,ladies.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 4:12 PM on Jun. 29, 2011