Potty training my 19mth old son.

I am on day 4 of potty training my 19 mth old son. Day 1 I let him play with the potty. Day 2 every 30 min. I would put him on the potty and he peed 4 times that day. Also that day and day 3 I was putting his diaper back on. I read that it may confuse him so I been using underwear since. Only at nap and nighttimes does he wear a diaper. He had 3 accidents in his underwear yesturday. How do I handle the situation? And also I don't think he completely understands he peed on the potty because he will sit on the potty (i put him on it) pee but not get up right away. So does he know he peed or does it take them a while to figure it out.

leighannwhite

Asked by leighannwhite at 1:23 PM on Jun. 29, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'd try again in 6 months. this is quite early and I am thinking he doesn't really "get it"
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:27 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• But he peed 4 times the first day, 5 times on day 2 and 3! He grabs himself. Also I read people potty train as early as 15 mth. It may take longer but I also read once you start you should not stop because it confuses them.
    leighannwhite

Comment by leighannwhite (original poster) at 1:32 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Oh also I on maternity leave until dec. So I figure now is the time to try because we can concentrate on potty training daily instead of on part of the day once I go back to work full time.
    leighannwhite

Comment by leighannwhite (original poster) at 1:34 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I start my kids early with potty training. It is entirely possible - the one thing to keep in mind is that it will probably take longer to train a child that is young.

Every 30 minutes got to be too much for my kids. They started to HATE the potty - NOT what you want! :D Key times: immediately after eating, waking, and before and after a bath. Otherwise, put him on every couple of hours. Praise him when he goes, talk about it, show him what he just did, etc.

The underwear is GREAT!! Once he figures out what you want him to do on the toilet, the next thing is to help him figure out what the urge to pee feels like. When he wets his underwear - grab him and run to the potty. Tell him to hold on and finish in the potty. Remind him that he is supposed to pee in the potty and not in his pants. He wants to keep his pants dry. (Eventually my sons would pee a little in the underwear and then finish in the potty). . . .
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 1:40 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• . . . after he is only going a little in his underwear and the rest in the potty, the next step is to get him to do it all in the potty!

Like I said - it is a longer process with a little one. I also had a TON of accidents. They went through stages where it seemed they backtracked and I add to re-train or remind them what the potty was for. But I still think it was worth it. Be ready for a LONG process, lots of wet pants, and be patient! It means a TON less diapers and a little boy who will probably be fully potty trained by the time he is 2 1/2. No more accidents! It gets better over time. (I have potty trained two boys and one girl - need to get started on my 19 month old)
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 1:43 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Thank you so much for responding. I don;t want to push him I just want to introduce the potty and get him familiar with it!
    leighannwhite

Comment by leighannwhite (original poster) at 2:04 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Starting too early just means it takes longer with much more accidents. You'd probably have better luck if you waited until he's really ready.
    katiemomNY

Answer by katiemomNY at 8:12 PM on Jun. 29, 2011