Tips on potty training for 2-income families?

My husband and I both work full time, so neither of us is home during the day for 5 days out of the week. I don't feel right asking someone else to basically potty-train my child(ren) for me, but I don't know how we can have any effect on them when we're not there to enforce. And taking vacation time isn't an option, as I don't get paid time off, and my husband's is gone due to a car wreck earlier in the year. Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:30 PM on Jun. 29, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You don't mention how old your child is, which makes a difference, or if this is a girl or boy, or the first-born. So my suggestions are sort of generic.
    1) wait until the child is really ready - at least three years old.
    2) wait until the child is waking up dry in the am, and after nap. Wait until the child can verbally express his need to go to the bathroom.
    3) wait until the child can put on and take off only clothes, wipe his own bottom, flush the potty by himself.
    4) Once the child is ready, chose a three-day weekend. If you can't toilet train your child in three days, he's not ready. Depending on where you work, you should have a 3 day weekend soon - July 4th falls on a Monday. Otherwise, Labor Day?
    Good luck! Oh, girls tend to be ready before boys. First-borns tend to be ready before second children, although ONLY children take longer than first-borns.
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 1:36 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• My provider was more than happy to HELP and assist what we felt was a correct plan of action in the potty training area, it actually worked better than the week's vacation trial we had..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:31 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I agree with Maxsmom.. My daycare provider helped me potty train two of my girls & will help with the third. A daycare provider understands that if they have your child all day they will be the ones helping do the potty training.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:32 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• whoever is taking care of your child during the day should follow your instructions, or if they have better suggestions, for continual pt-ing. to stop/go because you're not with him 24/7 would only confuse and delay his progress.
    talk to your childcare provider about how you can work together to achieve this goal.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 1:32 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• My daycare provider trained my son, at home we did :) Good Luck
    Mrs.Ro

Answer by Mrs.Ro at 1:33 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Lorelei, the one I'm wanting to potty train (the oldest of two) just turned 4. He's woken up dry in the past, though not regularly, and definitely not if he's had much to drink. He can dress and undress and clean himself; we tried putting him in underwear, and he would pee in it, take it off, clean himself up, and put a new pair on. In addition to all of the above, he can let us know whenever he's peed or pooped in his diaper, and he'll even go and get another diaper for himself. I've let it go this long because he has speech problems and hasn't been able to communicate some things very well, and I thought he should be able to tell us he needs to go. Now, though, I think he's physically ready, I just don't feel like we can offer him the consistency he'll need.

I will try this weekend with the extra day.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:25 PM on Jun. 29, 2011