When do you start giving babies jar food?

My sister in law has been feeding their baby jar food and I am worried it is too soon, but can't remember for sure when it is ok cuz it's been years since mine were that small.....he is only 4 months but she has been feeding him jar food for over a month, so just shy of 3 months old she began. He is a very fussy baby and I think it is because of that, and on top of it she stopped breastfeeding him and switched to formula the same week she gave him the jar food for the first time! I think it is just way too much for his little belly to handle all at once I certainly think that is the problem but wanted to see what others think...

littleguys_rule

Asked by littleguys_rule at 1:34 PM on Jun. 29, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I started my daughter at about 5 months.. They say you can start and 4 months, but don't recommend it until 6.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:36 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• 3 months is too young in my opinion! they say 5 months, i started my son at 4 months and that was only because he was inhaling 6 oz bottles of formula every hour and a half! the food was the only thing that kept him full, but the dr said at 4 months it was ok. 3 months is too premature, their bellies arent fully equipped for that yet!
    SweetPieMama24

Answer by SweetPieMama24 at 1:37 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Definitely too much change at once for such a young tummy! I didn't start mine on jar food until about 6 months, or when they begin to sit up on their own. Babies any younger are at a greater risk for choking, even on purees! Three months is really too young, maybe she should try adding a small amount of the rice cereal to the formula. It decreases the acid reflux and helps baby stay full longer. Hope this helps!
    Mom22Gurls82

Answer by Mom22Gurls82 at 1:37 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• i think that is too early. they need to be sitting up by themselves and be able to let you know when they are full.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 1:38 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I think its too early for jar food at 3 months old! But why are you worried about it, that's her baby, I don't think its gonna harm him.
    Anonymous

• i fed my son solid food when he could sit up but I never did the jar stuff.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 1:48 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• 4-6 months I believe. I dont' think it will hurt him any, AND he's not your baby
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:49 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I started with both at 4 1/2 5 months
    marinebrats

Answer by marinebrats at 1:57 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• and I agree with PP
    marinebrats

Answer by marinebrats at 1:58 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• no he is not my baby but he is my nephew and I believe I have the right to be concerned not like I'm tryin to tell them how to raise their baby just want to help them and him, they are first time parents who would most likely appreiciate advice because of the problems he is having i believe that are from the way they feed him. He is on his 6th week of jar food and has constant digestion and constipation problems since then on top of how fussy he has become and he was a very happy baby until the changes were made prematurely I believe. I appreiciate those answered my question, but really no need to for the others to tell me he is not my baby so why am I worried about it because that is ridiculous I am well aware.
    littleguys_rule

Comment by littleguys_rule (original poster) at 2:03 PM on Jun. 29, 2011