My son has tubes in his ears...

My 3 year old boy has tubes in his ears.. If he goes in the water in his ears while the tubes are in he got get very sick. It isn't good for him. So we have kept him out of the beach and lakes..But he loves having fun.. What can we do..? were worried if we put those ear plugs in his ears he will take them out. or they won't stick in the way they are supposed to do ..

What do you mothers do ?

Mrs.Ro

Asked by Mrs.Ro at 1:36 PM on Jun. 29, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I used silly putty when my DS had tubes at that age. He wasn't able to take them out by himself. Silly putty is CHEAP compared to other items that can be used.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 1:38 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• My son is 12 and had tubes multiple times since he was 7 months. They have headbands and swimcaps or your ENT can form earplugs speciffically for your little one.
    sugamama3

Answer by sugamama3 at 1:39 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Actually, there is a brand of ear plugs specifically for children. I can't remember the brand, but Wal-Mart carries them. They are big, so they don't get lodged in the ear canal, but the material they are made of is designed to be very flexible so that when you place them in the ear, the sort of "swell up" to seal the ear from water. My nephew used them when he was that age because he also had tubes in his ears. Those infections that arise from water in the tubes are no fun...hope this helps!
    Mom22Gurls82

Answer by Mom22Gurls82 at 1:40 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• My sister's kids all had ear-tubes and all went to swimming lessons. The ear plugs work pretty well. Also, whenever they got out of the pool, and sometimes out of a shower, she would put ear drops in the ears. "Swimmer's Ear" drops are supposed to prevent ear infections caused by water in the ear. A bit of hydrogen peroxide on a q-tip will help the water drain out and not sit in there to cause an infection. Sometimes her kids would get ear infections anyway, but they did even if she kept them out of the water entirely. Just getting a cold can cause and ear infection! Also, the tubes are not permanent. If it was a year ago when he got the tubes, they might have fallen out already, and the hole healed shut. My sister's kids had to have the tubes put back in a couple of times. My kids should have had tubes, but doctors wouldn't do it. We used dimetapp to prevent ear infections instead.
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 1:40 PM on Jun. 29, 2011