Working from home

I am currently a stay at home mom but I would like to try to find something to earn a little more spending money for my son. Right now I baby sit my niece and nephew for 120 a month. I would like to bring in a little more since that would cover his diaper and wipe expenses. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas about where to look for work that I could do at home. I am not ready to leave my son for any extended period of time yet. Thank you for your time in reading this and for your answers.

angelmine2011

Asked by angelmine2011 at 1:39 PM on Jun. 29, 2011 in General Parenting

• I have had a good bit of luck hitting the yard sales on Sat mornings and picking up things that I can paint, fix, or repurpose and then reselling them on craigslist. It's not a lot of money, but it gives me "free" money that I don't have to account for in my monthly budget!

Answer by missanc at 1:41 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• You aren't getting paid much for babysitting! You could charge more! How many hours do you watch them? Do you enjoy it? Are you licensed?
    You can get licensed and take in one or two more children. Then you can qualify for the state health program. You get paid for feeding the kids meals and snacks, and if you are low-income, you even get paid for feeding your own child during the hours you babysit anyone else's child. I used to make more $$ on the food program than from babysitting! The food program is a hassle. You have to serve nutritious foods and fill out the paperwork correctly, every day. If they drop in and your paper work isn't filled out, you can get cut from the program. But while on the food program, I was also able to get government commodities distributions- free pounds of butter, cheese, dry milk, and more. I provide free lesson plans for care givers at my website, if that would help.
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 1:44 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I forgot to mention what child care costs here in MI. Like $5.00 / hour, average. I babysit my granddaughter for free, but have considered taking in another child. I could easily charge $150.00 a WEEK. The day cares give a discount, to make it $166.00 a week, which is less than their daily rate would be. And few places give much of a discount for a second child.
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 1:46 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• The reason I watch them for so cheap is so that they can afford to still live on their own and not move back in with my mother whom I am currently staying with while SO and I get on our feet financially and with my heath issues. Home daycare does sound ideal. I love caring for children quite a bit but at the moment wouldn't work out until I have my own home. But that does give me something to research for future use. Thank you.
    angelmine2011

Comment by angelmine2011 (original poster) at 2:54 PM on Jun. 29, 2011