How do I get my 3yr old potty trained?

He's going to be starting preschool this fall and needs to be potty trained. I fell pressured and stressed so I'm pushing him to go because I'm freaking out. He can pee on the potty, but he's too scared to poop. He will rarely tell me if he has to pee, I have to ask him "Adam do you have to go potty?" I'm stressed out and don't know what to do. Any advice?????

amaschmid06

Asked by amaschmid06 at 1:40 PM on Jun. 29, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Honey, I feel your pain. My oldest child REFUSED to use the potty for what seemed like an eternity! We tried everything. Treats, movies, and other rewards went unacknowledged. Then one day, she just started going to the potty. Of course there were accidents, but only every now and then. My sis's oldest is 7 and still has potty accidents. My youngest, however, just picked it up and ran with it before she has even turned 3. If you are stressed about it, then the child will be, too. Every kid learns at their own pace. If he could tell that this wasn't a stressful thing for you, then maybe it wouldn't be so for him. Kids are AMAZINGLY receptive to mom's emotions. Don't push him to go potty. Gentle reminders are great, but don't be pushy. Does he have a potty chair or seat? If not, maybe that would help. He'll get there, they all do. Meanwhile, enjoy him while he's small, because they grow up wayyy too fast!
    Mom22Gurls82

Answer by Mom22Gurls82 at 1:49 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• My daughter was fully trained at 2. All we did was go to the store let her pick out the undies and timer and stool. When we got home we set the timer every 30 mins and when it went off she pushed the button. Then we went to the potty and tried. If she did pee then I gave her a sticker and she put it on her chart. If she pooped she got 2 stickers. (for my son stickers didn't work so for pee we gave him .10cents and for a poop we gave him .25 cents and at the end of the week we went to the dollar store and he picked out his toy.) For my son pooping was a struggle. So we sat him on the potty backwards and that worked so well. Now he sits normal. Good luck! Oh and once we went to undies we NEVER went back to diapers or pull ups even at bedtime.
    MommyBulger

Answer by MommyBulger at 1:58 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• first you gotta be calm about it .. he can feel your tension. With my son he pooped in his pants 2 times. and we would say eww.. what smells . and say you gotta go poop in the potty like a big boy! other kids at school go potty in the toilet to. :) give him hershey kisses when he goes to start it off. oh and hershey kisses have less sugar and better for teeth if they like chocolate.
    Mrs.Ro

Answer by Mrs.Ro at 4:12 PM on Jun. 30, 2011