For a small 5-6 pound baby how many boxes do you need for the first month? adult content

I was wondering how many boxes, not packs do you go through in a month? Especially for a newborn. We are going shopping really soon, I need some help on trying to figure out what I need. I am 19 weeks and 5 days now. I have 4 packs of newborns already and two packs of 1's. We will start buying them by boxes for now on. Do I need to buy more newborns. I'm not sure if I will have a baby shower, I'm 3,000 miles away from my family.

innocent10

Asked by innocent10 at 1:42 PM on Jun. 29, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• boxes of diapers? sorry don't understand
    lizzybee44

Answer by lizzybee44 at 1:43 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• It really is a guess - some babies grow slow and others grow fast. But they go through around 8-10 diapers/day as newborns.

Answer by missanc at 1:43 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• oh ok, yea take note of how many your baby goes through then do the math..just in case you could have some extra cloth diaper too :)
    big fan over here :)
    lizzybee44

Answer by lizzybee44 at 1:44 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• And guessing that you're going to have a 5-6 lb baby? It could be 10 lb and never wear newborns! My first was way bigger than my ex or myself were at birth.

Answer by missanc at 1:44 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• They grow out of newborn diapers pretty quickly. I think 4 boxes is enough for now, if you need more you can always get more. If I remember correctly there is almost 80 diapers in newborn boxes, so I think you have plenty. Don't forget to buy bigger sizes too, because before you know it you are going to have a ton of newborn and size 1's and your baby will be in size 2's! That happened to us. I had to exchange a few boxes of diapers because we bought in bulk and our daughter grew out of that size. (I suggest always keeping the receipt with that stuff.)
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 1:49 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Thanks :)
    innocent10

Comment by innocent10 (original poster) at 1:53 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• It depends on how big he/she is at birth. I know we were in 1's quick with ds. Good thing dh threw extra newborn diapers in the buggy with dd. We did 4 boxes of NB with dd. I learned that you have more room in Huggies than Pampers. So we buy Huggies. Oh you are doing a smart thing buy stocking up on it now. DD is 6 months and we still have not brought any diaper for(since I have been pregnant). Another thing I did was tape my recipes onto the box just in case you have to exchange for a bigger size.
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 1:54 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Cloth diapers :)
    sunnyflower417

Answer by sunnyflower417 at 2:14 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• You probably wont need more newborn, but I go through about 8 diapers a day with a 3.5 week old, so you can calculate out by the number of diapers that come in the box.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 2:44 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• It really depends on your baby and how big he/she is at birth and how fast he/she grows. Really it's a guessing game. I never bought many diapers ahead of time because I never knew what size my kids would wear and what diapers would work well for them.

I have a 4 week old who is 5lbs 9oz. She's in preemie diapers. When she was born, I ordered a case of preemie diapers from amazon.

I also really like the Target brand diapers.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 2:56 PM on Jun. 29, 2011