Moms with clinical depression: how do you survive the depression episodes? adult content

I've been having an episode of depression for almost two weeks now. My SO was here to help me with our three year old, but I needed him to go home for a little while. I'll probably see him on Sunday. How do I survive this depression episode while taking proper care of my daughter? Any tips on how to get through it without having to go to the ER? I'm not suicidal, but I'm apathetic, not caring about anything.

Thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:44 PM on Jun. 29, 2011 in Health

• It's tough... I just try to take things one day at a time... When that's too much I just say "i'll make it to lunch" then dinner etc. As for your daughter, so long as her basic needs are met then she should be okay for 4 days. Do you have family or friends nearby that could help out?
    kit_manson

Answer by kit_manson at 1:50 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Are you taking medication? Either anti-depressants, or another medication that could be causing your depression? Has anything drastic happened to cause this (death in the family)? Why do you think you are depressed? Without more info, don't know how helpful I can be. But here goes:
    1) Can you put your DD in day care for a few weeks? She would be safe, while you work through your issues.
    2) Can you trade childcare with a friend, if money is an issue? Sometimes, a DD will play nicely with a friend, and while you still have to watch her, you don't have to amuse her.Plus, when she's at her friend's house, you could rest.
    3) Can you get some counseling, therapy, medication, whatever you need to work through this?
    4) some herbal remedies can help with depression. Also, be sure to get enough sleep, and enough exercise. Eat very healthy foods, skip all sugar (which can make symptoms worse). Take child to park daily to play
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 1:53 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I'm on meds.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:54 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I'm taking medications, and I see a therapist every other month. I've had clinical depression for many years now. My psychiatrist once suggested ECT treatments, but I don't want to do that.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:58 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I have no friends or family in this state, so it's just my SO, my daughter and me. I tend to close myself off from everyone, which is why I don't have any friends.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:59 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• IF YOU NEED IMMEDIATE HELP:
    1) Check out Postpartum Depression website: http://www.postpartum.net/

2) Visit Parents Without Partners website: http://www.parentswithoutpartners.org/

3) Go to Crisis Counseling website: http://www.crisiscounseling.org/

4) Talk with a Priest or Minister or best friend or your doctor. Get help... do not hurt yourself or your child.
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 2:03 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Thanks everyone.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:35 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• It's very rare that I feel any kind of depression since starting the right meds for me. Do you think this is because you are not on the correct meds or the correct dosage? If it were me, that would be my first thought. Also, are you eating enough? I know I get sorta 'blah' feeling when I don't. Sleep issues can cause what you are describing as well. Have you talked to your PCP about this episode?
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 4:01 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• It has been awhile since I've considered my depression "clinical" although a therapist would probably beg to differ with me. ( I took myself off the meds 12 yrs ago and have just been dealing with it. I'm not suggesting this for anyone else, but that was my personal choice.) My issue isn't so much apathy as dwelling on things that terrify me. I have found the single most effective way of dealing with it has been to force myself to get out of the house. Get around people and out of my head. Do something I know I love. Even if you feel apathetic about it now, if it's something you know you USUALLY would love, do it. And yes, taking it one day at a time and teling myself, "this is just another bout with the dark moods, it will pass" and taking deep breathes and trying to clear my mind.
    earthmama727

Answer by earthmama727 at 5:08 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Also, closing yourself off tends to makes things worse, it's a viscous cycle. I recently joined a meetup/playdate group for my daughter. It has helped a lot cause even if I just go once in a while it forces me to get out and be social and do new things that help pull me out of a rut. Also, it's good for my LO. Hope you feel better soon! Good luck!
    earthmama727

Answer by earthmama727 at 5:10 PM on Jun. 29, 2011