Long term effects of chemo on men

Today we found out that my brother in law will be having three years of chemo and I wanted to know would anyone know the effect that chemo can have on his body or anyone's personal encounters with it.

sierra_617

Asked by sierra_617 at 1:50 PM on Jun. 29, 2011 in Health

• Chemo is hard on anybody, he could have hair loss, vomitting, hives...there are lot of side effects with chemo. Most go away once treatments are finished
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:51 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• His doctors will or should tell him this. But one is becoming sterile I think. Google it.

Answer by louise2 at 1:52 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Louise is right. My brother had hodgkin's lymphoma at 16 and was encouraged to make a few "deposits" at a sperm bank in order to ensure that he would be able to have children prior to the time they started his chemo. It was embarrassing for him, and even more embarrassing for me to be paying for it (my bio mom is a real piece of work...long story...she didn't think it was "worth it")...but I am glad he did because so far in tests, his fertility is still impacted years later and it could be permanent.

As far as his hairloss, it grew back, although the texture is frequently different. He did have fine, light blonde hair, and now it is coarser and a darker blonde.

There was scarring from his port (chest), but otherwise, he is doing well.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 2:33 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• My ex-husband (and son's father) told me he couldn't have kids cause he had cancer and chemo. WRONG!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:35 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Depends on where. Mostly it's the chemo brain that is most bothersome. Not always but more often than not it could affect sperm production.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:07 PM on Jun. 29, 2011