Baby in daycare=my son is going to hate me :(((((

I dropped my son off at his first day of daycare today. I just called (2 hrs. later) to see how he was doing and they said that he was pretty upset, and even refused to eat his lunch! The director said that this was very normal and he's in good hands, and not to worried! Well I'm worried! He's in an unknown place and thinks I've abandoned him! He's gonna hate me!

PANZONSMOM

Asked by PANZONSMOM at 2:01 PM on Jun. 29, 2011 in General Parenting

• Ok I have taught preschool for 5 years now. Separation anxiety is very normal and the first two weeks are going to be very rough for both you and him. Let him know that you are ok and don't let him feel your stress so he can get through this. First tip at drip off make your rounds, find an area your child likes and say your goodbyes with teacher nearby five hugs and kisses and leave no matter how much he cries don't go back once u start to leave. It will b hard but if he thinks crying will make you return it will last longer. Tip two at pick up make sure to allow for time for your child to show you around and what they did today or if yet are too small for that some play time to show you are comfortable there too. It is hard but you both will turn out fine.
    MISSOCTOBER

Answer by MISSOCTOBER at 2:10 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• No, he is NOT. At least, not any more than he will ANYWAY when you make him clean his room.brush his teeth/eat his broccoli.

Things changed. That's fine. Things will change often. Relax. You don't mention his age, but as they get older they find daycare more fascinating than parents.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:04 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• OMG calm down. He will be fine. If you dont' make a big deal about it, he will get the picture. He's in a new place, it's normal. I wouldn't worry. Kids love to put on a show for parents sake. It's what they do. Now if he is still like this in a few months, then I would find a different place for him
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 2:04 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• it will take up to 2 weeks to adjust, but he will adjust
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 2:04 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• he's not gonna hate you. he's likely to get super-clingy to you, knowing NOW that you are walking away from him at this strange place. but it will pass..just give it time. he'll get used to it..and if something is wrong with the center/ability to properly care for your child, you'll see it.
    its hard, i know. i had to use childcare..and you hate yourself because you don't want to be the reason they cry and are miserable. but trust me, he'll get used to it.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:05 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• i dont think he will hate you but he will def be glad to see you when you get there! And more than likely he will not want to go back in the morning
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 2:04 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• That is normal. I felt that way when I dropped my DS off at daycare. He finally figured out that Mom or Dad was going to pick him up after we got off of work. When he figured that out, he stopped worrying about us and started having fun. He loved playing with all of the kids.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 2:05 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• LOL.....that is not true.
    WHen I had a shy 4 year old daughter and I decided she needed to go to pre-school to get used to playing and learning in a school type setting, she cried when I left for 4 days. BUT, soon she was happy to go and loved the Pre-school teachers. I KNEW she was NOT going to hate me.
    Just relax. He wil be fine!!!
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 2:06 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Oh HOney.. this is SO hard I know!!!! I'm sorry.. All I can send is hugs, I spent the first 3 weeks crying at every drop off !! The center I had him at he HATED and never thrived and couldn't transition correctly - he has been in an in home now for the past year this month and became a whole new child since attending there -there will be an adjustment period for both of you I know. *hugs
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:07 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• He won't hate you. Once he gets used to the place, he'll start having a great time I am sure. It is VERY NORMAL for kids to react that way at first.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 2:16 PM on Jun. 29, 2011