Less potent anesthetic at the denist due to pregnancy!? How bad will it be?

I just found out I have a cavity that needs to be filled and made my appointment for next week. Upon talking to my hygienist about TTC, she told me to let the dentist know if I find out I'm pregnant. She said the regular anesthetic they use isn't good for the baby's heart. The alternative anesthetic is less potent, but also numbs the pain. Ummm... Less potent? Ehhh... As in how much!? Have any of you had dental work during pregnancy? Could you tell a big difference in the medication they used? Makes me nervous!!!

Ash09855

Asked by Ash09855 at 2:05 PM on Jun. 29, 2011 in Health

• If you wait to get the cavity filled as more and more nutrients are given to your baby your tooth can become worse. My OB/GYN told me it was okay to get dental work done before the 2nd trimester as long as the dentist knew and used the correct numbing meds. I'd talk to you OB/GYN if you haven't already, but I had a tooth pulled while I was pregnant and I couldn't tell the difference during the procedure. It just wore off a lot faster. My daughter was and is 100% healthy. When you do research online too make sure you read the sites that are .edu and .org (as long as the .org are not bias opinions) to get the most accurate information. Stay away from Wiki sites! I hope this helps you some!
    supermama86

Answer by supermama86 at 2:15 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• You should wait until after your pregnancy to het your cavity filled. I am surprised that they are offering to do it while you are pregnant. Google dentist while pregnant for more information.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 2:10 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I only know one person who had to have work done by the denist and was given the anesthesia and it wasn't a "perfect" outcome, I would wait.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:12 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I'm wondering if I wait, will it get worse? Right now it's a little cavity. I don't want to end up having to have a crown or root canal. I haven't had a cavity in FOREVER! lol Just my luck...
    Ash09855

Comment by Ash09855 (original poster) at 2:15 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• LOL I never have general anesthetic for a cavity. A topical or shot of lidocane will not hurt the baby
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:05 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Maybe anesthetic was the wrong word... Whatever medication they typically administer to numb the pain isn't okay. I was wondering how much of a difference the alternative numbing agent would be...
    Ash09855

Comment by Ash09855 (original poster) at 8:10 PM on Jun. 29, 2011