How can I get my two year to stop throwing and playin in her food, and eat it?

courtney2691

Asked by courtney2691 at 2:06 PM on Jun. 29, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The minute she starts throwing food, take her plate away and make her clean up her mess. Let her know that she needs to eat when it's time or she will be mighty hungry by the time dinner is served
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 2:07 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I agree with Zakysmommy...She needs rules and boundries. Your the mother, dont let her behave that way ! Parents these days let their kids walk all over them and let them do what they want. I had a friend who let her son play with steak knives because she thought it was cute...I couldnt believe it...that kind of parenting will end up with your kids overtaking your house and not following any rules what so ever. So be the parent and dont let her do it...its ok to say NO !!
    Anonymous

• I agree also with zkysmommy, that's what I did.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:10 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Two year olds need to play in their food. It's a sensory experience. She is too young to understand a rule, or be held responsible for breaking a rule. If you really can't deal with food play, then take her food away any time she plays in it, BUT provide other sensory experiences for her then. She has a need to touch, smell, see, hear, and taste everything! She should be digging in a sand box, taking a bath, fingerpainting, and much, much more. The more you provide her with appropriate sensory play, the less she will need to play in her food.
    Two year olds can't be rushed. If you need her to eat faster, then try to rearrange your schedule to allow her more time to eat.
    Don't allow her to throw food - just quietly take her food away when she throws it. Wait a few minutes, then let her have the food back. Repeat. If she continues to throw it, then she is done eating.
    Try finger painting with chocolate pudding or applesauce!
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 2:11 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• If a child is playing with their food they are full. The food gets taken away. And the kid gets told "I guess you are done you are playing".

Answer by louise2 at 2:13 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• LoreleiSieja- Woman you are crazy !!! OP dont let your kids to play with thier food. That is a disaster waiting to happen
    Anonymous

• I like all of these answers and thank you. I agree with what is being said between all of you. I understand about the sensory experience, but wasting is not a thing I want her to think is okay. I also think that being two she does know what a rule is not fully but she does understand to a point. I understand that parents these days ARE letting thier kids run the show. I'm a young mother but I won't put up with them telling me what to do. I am the parent and they do what I say. I get yelled at all the time from my mom but my kids are bad. Im not going to lie they are. I have my hands full LOL. It was so easy when they were just baby's, but they are older and I am starting to get a little confused on what to do with them and handleing things the right way.
    courtney2691

Comment by courtney2691 (original poster) at 2:24 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• It's all about consistancy, loving consistancy!
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 2:55 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I do the same thing the first person answered, I make my DD clean up her mess and tell her food is for eating, not playing.
    TashaStar81

Answer by TashaStar81 at 3:23 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• My mom told me once that my oldest sister kept throwing her cereal on the floor and my mom would get more and she'd do it again, so finally my mom just dumped the whole bowl on her head and she never did it again. Then that same sister said her son did the same thing and she dumped the bowl on his head and he never did it again. hehe It might sound like a 'bad mom moment' who knows but it worked... they never did it again. And no my mom wasn't a child beater or abuser.. hehe My son does it now and I just take away his food until he's ready to eat. It's soooo hard always knowing the right thing to do or say huh?
    HappySam

Answer by HappySam at 2:00 AM on Jun. 30, 2011