HELP!!! My two year and three old won't stop fighting over EVERYTHING. What can i do to stop most of it?

courtney2691

Asked by courtney2691 at 2:07 PM on Jun. 29, 2011 in General Parenting

• Not much, they are close in age, it's happens. They will figure it out. What my mom used to do was to get my brother and I (we are only 18 months aparty) mad at her lol. Worked like a charm, we were too busy being mad at "meanie mommy" to be mad at eachother
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 2:08 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• If no one is getting hurt, don't worry about it. They will work it out. Welcome to sibling rivalry!

Now, if someone IS getting hurt, separate corners. They need to be isolated from each other till they cool down, and then institute normal disciplinary measures. Loss of privileges or toys.

My brother and I used to fight ALL the time. But my mom didn't interfere, and we were never to the point of hurting each other. When we got older, we were each the other's biggest defender when needed. Though we still fought each other.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:10 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Buy them the exact same toys, seperate them when they begin to fight and have time-outs, other than that I am going through this with a 5yo and 2yo, but my 2yo is the one who starts it believe it or not! LOL I wish you luck!! What exactly do they fight over? I may be able to help more if I have a direct example!
    supermama86

Answer by supermama86 at 2:10 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Get off of CafeMom and make them stop !!! Be a parent and not from the computer !!!
    Anonymous

• Its mostly over the truck toys. My son will get one of his trucks and my daughter always thinks she has to have what he has. I try to grab her attention with something else and it works for like 3 min. and she is right back at him.
    courtney2691

Comment by courtney2691 (original poster) at 2:14 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I would stay out of it for as long as you see no-one is getting hurt. If you constantly interfere you will be doing that until one of them leaves the house at 18 or older!
    Gingerwheel

Answer by Gingerwheel at 2:14 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Two year olds are too young for time outs. Kids will argue, but they don't need to do it as much as they do. Your children could become best friends! Here's some suggestions:
    1) have Mommy & Me time with each of them, to lesson rivalry. If they take different naps, that's a good time to spend with the other child. Otherwise, teach them "taking turns". You play with the younger child for half an hour, while the older one watches a cartoon, then switch. Sometimes, play with both of them together. This time doesn't have to be all play - can do some preschool lessons.
    2) Don't have playmates over for them very often. Make them look to each other for play time.
    3) Don't have too many toys. They should learn to play together. TOo many toys limits imagination. Fewer toys means taking turns and playing together.
    4) have LOTS of outside time. Kids should play outside a minimum of 2 hours a day. Fresh air and exercise promotes healt
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 2:16 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• WOW on Answer by Anonymous: Someone needs a hug lol
    courtney2691

Comment by courtney2691 (original poster) at 2:31 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Separate them from each other. If you need to, buy those door gates and put them up. Part of the fun in fighting is getting mom all upset and into trying to settle it. Just tell them that if they can't get along, they can't play together. Then put them in two different places. It will work!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:41 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Funny how Mrs. Anonymous is on CafeMom too...
    mrsbrittbishop

Answer by mrsbrittbishop at 2:51 PM on Jun. 29, 2011