Is there a way to get stains out of second hand clothes?

MIL found a super cute dress for my daughter but the dress has a stain on it, I've done a regular wash on it and it didn't come out.

zoejains_momma

Asked by zoejains_momma at 2:13 PM on Jun. 29, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I would try Oxyclean. It's the best stain remover I've ever used, and it is safe for all fabrics. I mix it up in a bucket for tough stains and let it soak for as long as it takes to get them out. I check it every 30 minutes or so to see if it's gone. I've gotten out some mighty tough stains with it.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:20 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• shout and dreft work for me..and if its a white dress just let is soak in diluted clorox and it should get it out..my mom soaked alot of clothes for my dd and they look like new
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 2:14 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I would try Goop. You can buy it at Walmart.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Goop-Multi-Purpose-Hand-Cleaner/16880683
    MommyBulger

Answer by MommyBulger at 2:15 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• http://reviews.ebay.com/Removing-Common-Stains-from-Vintage-Clothing-amp-Textiles_W0QQugidZ10000000003837863
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 9:39 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• http://www.powerofresolve.com/stain-solver-laundry.php?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=CPC&utm_term=remove%20stain%20from%20clothes&utm_campaign=IWSR
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 9:40 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• how long do I soak them for?
    zoejains_momma

Comment by zoejains_momma (original poster) at 2:15 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• It depends on the stain! Some will come out, some won't. One of the hardest stains to remove is old baby spit-up.
    Try what's listed above, or try Spray and Wash, Oxy-Clean.
    You can make a stain-remover by mixing 1 cup HOT water, 1/2 cup baking soda, 1/2 cup hydrogen peroxide. Put in a spray bottle and spray treat stains then let them sit overnight. Launder as usual.
    Stain remover recipe #2 (DO NOT USE WITH BLEACH): 1/2 gallon hot water, 1/2 cup ammonia, 2 tablespoons laundry detergent. Mix and story in spray bottle. Spot-treat stains, soak over night, then launder as usual.
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 2:23 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I guess I should add, the dress is multi colored with flowers and fairies on it.
    zoejains_momma

Comment by zoejains_momma (original poster) at 2:26 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I have never met a stain I couldn't get out. :)

Oxyclean works great, but if the stain is really stubborn, I spray it with greased lightening and scrub. I would come back 30 mintues or an hour later and spray and scrub again.

I once had a shirt that had a terrible stain, it just wouldn't come out, so I left it with the greased lightening on it and about a week later the stain was just gone.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 3:08 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• If you can't get the stain out, buy a cute iron-on patch to cover it up - should fit right in with the floral/fairy print.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 4:58 PM on Jun. 29, 2011