Civil unrest in Greece...similar to the unrest some predict for the US?

It will be a cold day in hell when Americans, faces smeared with Maalox, storm to capitol over tax breaks for the wealthy or ethanol subsidies.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/europe/06/29/greece.strike/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

UpSheRises

Asked by UpSheRises at 2:14 PM on Jun. 29, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• What some people don't get is that the money does run out! Socialism does not work! Can someone tell Obama to turn on the TV!!!
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 2:21 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• PBO isn't the only person who needs to hear your message, gammie. Can someone tell the entire progressive left!
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 2:49 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I doubt anyone here would storm anywhere over tax breaks and subsidies ... but if the gov't. cuts welfare or stops it entirely (along with other aid and pension plans) I am positive that the cops in the US would long for idiots smeared in Maalox instead of what they would be dealing with.

If the idiots living here turn to looting, rioting, and shooting at rescue personnel three days after stores close thanks to a hurricane, no one with half a brain doesn't expect things to be 230% worse if millions of people get told that the stores are open and stocked, but Uncle Sammy can't afford to send you money for groceries any more.

The majority of US citizens have 3 days of food in their homes ... or less. Some have a week or a month of food. A very few have more along with other supplies and cash. Think about how many are on FS alone ... and tell me again that far worse riots won't happen if the budget isn't balanced soon.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 2:54 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• First, there isn't socialism. The government has not actually taken over any private industry with the sole purpose of running it and making profits from it. That's a key part of socialism. So before you go crying "socialism doesn't work", figure out what socialism is. Then look at Norway. Obviously it can work.

Second, I highly doubt anything like that would happen in the US.

Third, I disagree with the assessment that most US citizens have 3 days of food in their homes. My area sufferred a power outage for 3 days and most people were in need of things like propane, generators, and power converters. Food was not an issue for most. Of course... we may just be more prepared than most of the nation which I could totally believe.
    miss_lisa

Answer by miss_lisa at 3:14 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Miss lisa, the entire country, on ANY day of the month, has 30 days worth of food in it. That's it. Many people who live in cities/large towns shop every single day ~ because they like that trip to the market. Many households never cook ~ they get takeout, eat in restaurants, or use a meal service. Whether it's something that shuts down the transportation grid, or the gov't. stopping welfare payments, we are ALWAYS 9 meals from anarchy (which I would prefer to socialism).

It doesn't matter if the gov't. 'owns' any private industry, the gov't. controls all of them (through taxes, regulations, OSHA, zoning, permits ...). That same gov't. 'owns' 46% of the population because it supports them. It 'owns' homeowners (who don't own their property unless they pay yearly taxes). It 'owns' and/or controls everything and doles out what we (the people) may keep.

It HAS happened here ~ NOLA/Katrina ~ your doubts won't change that.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 4:06 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I think it could get worse than what we see in Greece. More Americans are survivors. Think Hank Jrs, a country boy can survive. It may be "just a song", but there is a lot of truth in that song.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:15 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• It doesn't matter if the gov't. 'owns' any private industry, the gov't. controls all of them (through taxes, regulations, OSHA, zoning, permits ...). That same gov't. 'owns' 46% of the population because it supports them. It 'owns' homeowners (who don't own their property unless they pay yearly taxes). It 'owns' and/or controls everything and doles out what we (the people) may keep.

********

Gov't regulation is not gov't owned. By definition socialism requires the government to OWN industry. So no, it's not socialism.

What you perceive as ownership and what they actually own are two entirely different things. I don't think you actually understand what socialism is. I think you like to throw the word around because it's a popular thing to do, but you don't really know what you're talking about.
    miss_lisa

Answer by miss_lisa at 5:25 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• What you perceive as ownership and what they actually own are two entirely different things. I don't think you actually understand what socialism is. I think you like to throw the word around because it's a popular thing to do, but you don't really know what you're talking about. ~ miss lisa

I don't think, I KNOW that you don't know squat about me and prefer to toss out insults and vague accusations rather than counter what I've said with something reasonable and logical.

Your argument over the definition of socialism is just deflection from the real problem ~ which is the fact that the US is broke and if it stops supporting the half that doesn't work there will be far worse happening here than what is happening in Greece. The percentage that isn't working is climbing daily.

Well fed and comfortable people can afford to be 'civilised'. Hungry and desperate people are dangerous ~ regardless of political affiliation.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 6:44 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=socialism
    Noun

S: (n) socialism (a political theory advocating state ownership of industry)
    S: (n) socialism, socialist economy (an economic system based on state ownership of capital)

I prefer people to be informed. Throwing out the word socialism because you perceive government regulation and involvement as ownership is NOT socialism. Blah blah blah about me not being reasonable and logical but the FACT is I'm right. Which means logically speaking I'm the only one who knew what socialism actually was.

I never stated that I support socialism, simply that those accusing the gov't of socialism are wrong.

I'm blunt, if you choose to be insulted by the fact that I was blunt with you because you clearly did not understand what socialism is then so be it.
    miss_lisa

Answer by miss_lisa at 6:53 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I don't think you actually understand what socialism is.

I don't think YOU actually understand the progression process to get to socialism. farmlady is correct.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 7:13 PM on Jun. 29, 2011