Food containers taste like soap?

I have some really cheap plastic food storage containers. Recently they have started accumulating a dish detergent film that is nearly impossible to get off. This film is on nothing but my containers, all the other dishes, etc. are fine. When I need to store something, I take a damp paper towel and thoroughly clean out the container before I put it in there (pain in my butt), and then food still tastes slightly soapy (especially if it has been in the microwave - and yes, they are microwave-safe).

Is there anything I can do to break the cycle (not something I have to do every time I wash them)? Does this only happen to the cheap kind, or should I break down and just buy tempered glass?

cypressandsage

Asked by cypressandsage at 2:23 PM on Jun. 29, 2011 in Home & Garden

• i like the ones that have the red lid that actually click into the bottom of the container so they dont get lost. ive been using them forever! id say get new ones. a big box of the one i am talking about sells at walmart and target for like $10
    SweetPieMama24

Answer by SweetPieMama24 at 2:25 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I've found that with cheap plastic containers as well.. Like where you would heat something up & it would somewhat melt the bowl inside & the soap would stick in there. The only thing I can recommend is buying sturdier dishes. =)
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:25 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I use glass containers to store my food. I sent glass containers to work with my DH for lunch. I found a few glass lunch dishes that have snug fitting rubber lids, but mostly I use wide-mouth canning jars. I love them, because the lids are universal and I don't have to match up lids and containers every morning. I use the canning jars in my fridge, too. I store all left-overs in wide-mouth jars. I have a big funnel to help get things like hotdish down into the jars. They take up less room in the fridge, and I can see at a glance what they are, so we throw away less food. However, the cheap plastic containers are more likely to pick up flavors. To kill the flavor:
    Soak in white vinegar whenever you notice the taste. White vinegar will clean them better, and is safe, non-toxic. You shouldn't have to do it every time, but maybe every three times you wash the cheaper containers.
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 2:27 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I use the glass pyrex ones and don't have any problems. I'd recommend those.
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 4:06 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Yeah, get away from the cheap plastic containers - you can even buy pyrex at the thrift shops (just sanitize before use) ~
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 4:57 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Plastic just happens to get like that, I would get nicer ones or glass.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 5:59 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I second the white vinegar that was suggested in one of the above posts.
    BeulahBuford

Answer by BeulahBuford at 4:51 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• You can try baking soda, but honestly, the Rubbermaid are not that expensive, and they don't do that. I've had mine for several years, and they are just like new.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 8:02 AM on Jul. 13, 2011