Help my two year old locked my bedroom door and the knifes arent helping to open it? What else can I use?

DaddysGirl523

Asked by DaddysGirl523 at 2:26 PM on Jun. 29, 2011 in General Parenting

• What kind of lock is on the door? Pushbutton?

Answer by missanc at 2:27 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• we had to use a paperclip in the little hole to push the button. it honestly depends what kind of door lock you have
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 2:28 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Its hard to say without knowing what kind of lock you have, but they actually have tones of YouTube videos that you can watch for detailed instructions!!!
    Gingerwheel

Answer by Gingerwheel at 2:28 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Our locks are the key lock kind. I use my drivers license to pop it open.
    sparkles1986315

Answer by sparkles1986315 at 2:30 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I got this one....a credit card, slide it up the side where the latch is my land lord taught me this one...
    46186mommyof4

Answer by 46186mommyof4 at 2:30 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Talk very calmly with your two year old. Make it sound like a game. You can talk your two year old into turning the button in the door knob to open the door for you.
    Something smaller than a knife is necessary to get the locking mechanism to open. Try a very tiny screw driver, or a heavy-duty paper clip, straightened out.
    Can you open a window and climb in?
    If necessary, you may have to call a lock-smith, but you will pay dearly for that service. In the future, you can buy those over-the-doorknob covers to prevent your child from playing with the doorknobs. You would put it on the outside of your bedroom door and keep the door closed. Or, throw a towel over the top of your bedroom door, so she cannot shut the door. There are many ways to childproof a home! We just don't think of them before we actually need to use them!
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 2:30 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• My 5 year old use to lock herself in the bathroom when she was mad - one time she jammed the lock and couldn't unlock the door so I had to get a screwdriver and unscrew the doorknob to get it open, I was able to unjam it and put it back but after two more times of having to unscrew it to get her out of there it wouldn't work so as of right now we have no door knob on the bathroom door and I keep forgetting to buy a new one.
    anon1986East

Answer by anon1986East at 2:32 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• my two year isnt in there just my room i will try anything
    DaddysGirl523

Comment by DaddysGirl523 (original poster) at 2:33 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• no knife,nail,scissors,picture accessory
    DaddysGirl523

Comment by DaddysGirl523 (original poster) at 2:41 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• no safety pin
    DaddysGirl523

Comment by DaddysGirl523 (original poster) at 2:49 PM on Jun. 29, 2011