How can I get my son to stop extreme tantrums?

He started around 1, just before I got diagnosed with a lymphoma. He got spoiled for 6 months with gramma living with us. After that I was too tired to fight his extreme behavior, i just made sure he didn't hurt himself and try to discipline him the best I could. Then when he started to hit his sister and claw his friends, I looked for some help, it's helping a lot, he is talking more and stop hitting people. But still have bad tantrums, mainly because he can't or dont want to say what he wants.
I need more ideas in what to do with him during the day, maybe a website.

brazilianmumsy

Asked by brazilianmumsy at 2:27 PM on Jun. 29, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'm not a mom yet, but I work with kids in my career... Make sure you're being firm, fair, and consistant. If you tell him he'll have to go to time out if he hits, don't change your mind if he cries. Follow through on what you say you'll do consistantly so he'll know you mean business. If you discipline inconsistantly, or let things slide, it doesn't help. Make sure not to feed into tantrums by giving in to what he wanted to begin with. If he pitches a fit because he wants a cookie, don't give it to him to make him stop... Kids are smart, and they learn fast how to get their way. Good luck!
    Ash09855

Answer by Ash09855 at 3:12 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Have you thought that he might actually have something wrong with him other than being a brat and throwing tantrums? Maybe get him checked out. I know no mother wants to hear that, I just dealt with it myself.
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 2:33 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• yes, he has some sensory issues. Not autistic. I should try a behavior ped
    brazilianmumsy

Comment by brazilianmumsy (original poster) at 2:39 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• if hes starting to talk alot more then it should go down, if not get his hearing tested, my kid was the same he had ear infections alot but never fevered or other symptoms got tubes in and has been 100% better. but like what was said above stay consistant no mattre how hard it is, i'm a single mom its no fun being the bad guy all the time you want to be the nice one but think of how it will affect them in the future if you give in, even on the little stuff no means no

mimah

Answer by mimah at 10:57 PM on Jun. 29, 2011