Why do people confront a parent discipline their kids in public for acting bad but don't say nothing when parents curse out their young kids and talking to them as if they're the same age as the parents?

I was coming home from work yesterday on a train and this woman's son about 8 or 9 years old was talking back to his mom after she confronted him for acting up in summer school and so she gave him a old school spanking and this other woman confronted her saying she committed child abuse and will call DCFS on her. People told that woman that parents do worse stuff to their kids and the mom had a right to spank her son. The other day I was at the park and this mom was yelling, cursing and threatening her crying 4 YO daughter who was crying calling her bald headed and telling her to stop acting like a b*tch and told her if she don't stop crying she'll beat the crap out of her and people just sit there and said nothing. I see parents curse at their kids, especially toddlers almost everyday like they're talking to strangers off the street and people do nothing, not even confront the parent. I want to confront the parents for that, but at the sane time is afraid that they might mentally insane and do god knows what.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:14 PM on Jun. 29, 2011 in General Parenting

• Confronting another parent is always very, very iffy. Unles you are 100% POSITIVE that child abuse is happening then you should not make that leap of accusation, it can end very bad for you and the child, because the parent might get even more angry and treat the child worse. To me the woman in the train was wrong in saying that and should mind her own business, the woman at the park however was not right and I feel bad for that child.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 3:20 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I dont know why ppl do that it's just sad
    mablesamuel

Answer by mablesamuel at 3:20 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I'm too scared to say anything to a parent because I don't want to get shot. Not joking. There are a lot of gangs and such in the city (which is typically where I see stuff like this) and I wouldn't want to get jumped or shot for saying something to the wrong person.
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 3:38 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Why dont you say anything. I dont confront the person myself but I make a point of scowling at the person as we walk by and saying loudly enough that they can hear me "Wow, that is so inappropriate!" or "What a bitch!"

I am very much against spanking. I think that no person ever has the right to hit someone and spanking is hitting. Someone should never cause thier child physical pain, even if it is done with good intentions that doesnt change what you are doing. I would absolutely confront someone hitting thier child in public. In our local store a woman slapped her toddler across the face for crying and was arrested. In another case a woman was hitting her child because he cried for a candy bar and the police got called.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 4:24 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• @amber710, slapping a child is abuse, we're talking about discipline here, the type of discipline our parents gave us back in day, before 2000 hit. Those 2 people you mentioned who hit their kids deserved to be arrested, I'm talking about this boy being disrespectful to his mom by being a smart mouth that she disciplined him. Kids, especially teens these days need to be spanked, that's why they're so bad right now.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:52 PM on Jun. 29, 2011