I just signed up for a gym membership. Is that a waste of my money?

My husband and I are determined to get healthy. We just paid $120 dollars to become members of a gym and will now have to pay $60 a month for a year (for a couple membership). I am now wondering if I made a mistake.

What do you think? Are gym memberships worth the money?

amber710

Asked by amber710 at 3:14 PM on Jun. 29, 2011 in Health

• If you aren't going to go on a regular basis, I would say it is a waste of $ but if you are, it is a good investment on your health.

Answer by older at 3:16 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Lol its not worth it if you dont go :) make it worth your while hun.
    sugamama3

Answer by sugamama3 at 3:16 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• It would be a waste for me because I know I would not go.. Might at first but then drop off...
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 3:18 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Only if you don't go.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 3:24 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Does it include a coach session? Some Gyms offer a 2 hour session where one of the instructors will work with you and dh (calculating BMI, your weight goals, and even a exercise regimen). Don't forget to sign up for Kick-Boxing and Latino Dance those where my favorites. Does the gym have a pool. That's a plus. For the price I'm guessing you also have sauna and jacuzzi included, Enjoy!
    Cafemomoftwo217

Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 3:24 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• if you go at least 3 times a week...then no, it's never a waste of money if you actually use your membership...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:36 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• No, there isnt a sauna or a jacuzzi...I wish there was. lol
    It's an extra $99 to meet with the personal trainer 3 times a week. I wont pay that. I am planning on going though, I just have to work it in around college and work. My hubby and I are trying to always go together to support each other.
    amber710

Comment by amber710 (original poster) at 4:19 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Most people who get memberships don't use them. Only you can decide if it will be a waste.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 4:31 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• my best bet is you and your husband better make sure you go at least 3-4 times a week to make it worth your money, otherwise you wasted a lot. unless you can cancel within a certain time frame.
    lucky35

Answer by lucky35 at 4:35 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• As everyone has said.. Its worth it only if you go.
    If you go to college. dont they have a gym you could have joined for pretty cheap? Or a Fitness Connection ($10/mo)? Or YMCA (membership is based on your income).. anyways..
    Me & DH joined a gym & it was a waist. I felt really odd & silly so we never went back. :(
    If you can get out of it / refund or whatever there is great work out dvds out there. P90x is awesome.. I prefer working out in my own home - no one looking at me, no getting dressed for the gym..

Best of LUCK on you 2 getting fit & healthy!!! :-)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 5:21 PM on Jun. 29, 2011