How Can i cope with my son who has ADHD?

RGerlach

Asked by RGerlach at 3:20 PM on Jun. 29, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Find a parent group in your area http://www.chadd.org/

UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:23 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Whats the problems you are facing? Who diagnosed him ? How old is he?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:23 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Is he medicated?
    sugamama3

Answer by sugamama3 at 3:25 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Get him on a schedule. My DD who is now 7 also has ADHD and she is very conpulsive. I have found that a schedule works the best. Also, find fun things to do with him, mine loves the park! Its somewhere she can run and bounce all around without breaking something or getting hurt. Try not to over stimulate him either, when you give him a bunch of things to choose from he may become over whelmed. Toward bedtime we get a bath and read books to kind of wind her down. Hope this helps!
    2prettylittle1s

Answer by 2prettylittle1s at 3:26 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• He is very hyper and aggressive, has anger issues...He is almost 5. He is extremely smart and im amazed at his vocabulary. But these other issues ar heartbreaking. I dont know how to handle him at times. He is on concerta, and this is the third round of medicine he has been on.

THank you for your reply
    RGerlach

Comment by RGerlach (original poster) at 3:27 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• My daughter is also on concerta it seems to take the edge off but doesn't fully put her down, thats what I wanted. I didn't want to loose her sweet and outgoing personality under medicine. Maybe it isn't the right medicine for him.
    2prettylittle1s

Answer by 2prettylittle1s at 3:30 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I found that getting medical assistance and having them pay for wraparound services to be a HUGE help. Having a behavioral specialist coach me through the better ways to parent a child with these sorts of issues is the biggest help.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 3:35 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• THank you so much. Yes i have found that a schedule works a lot better. I have a 9 mth old son who is quite the opposite of him... loll they are both very sweet boys. I just got married last week and he works during the days. I find it hard to get out of the house to take him to the pool. Im afraid to do it alone. I dont know why im scared he will go crazy and i wont have a helping hand. Yes concerta doesnt really calm him down. He needs something else. Your daughter you said she is 7? do you see her growing out of her problem or i guess getting better the older she gets?
    RGerlach

Comment by RGerlach (original poster) at 3:35 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I don't see her growing out of it as of right now, but only time will tell. School and going out in publc are the hardest for me also. If we go out to eat I just make sure she has lots to do, ex; color, play her DS, word finds. Also a table in the corner could give you a little more room if he needs to get up and walk around a little. I let my daughter walk beside the table but she is not aloud to go near other tables. Usually she says she needs to stretch her legs. :)
    2prettylittle1s

Answer by 2prettylittle1s at 3:40 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• These moms here know a great deal about this condition. A dear friend of mine grew up with ADHD he comments that Tennis Lessons was the best gift he'd gotten from his parents. Also Karate classes are very therapeutic for some suffering from ADHD. I need to say that with or WITHOUT ADHD all of us tend to be stubborn. So when you see any difficult behaviors think first that is more about his own personality rather than his ADHD. Your son will learn to "adjust" his temper. Just give it time.
    Cafemomoftwo217

Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 3:43 PM on Jun. 29, 2011