Baby food question - HELP!

We have a 6 month old that we starting feeding rice cereal at almost 5 months. He takes it on a spoon and does great. We were going to start adding vegetables next week, however, he got shots last week and developed diarrhea. I called the dr after the 3rd day and there's no medicine for him for diarrhea, so he suggested I try to add baby food bananas and/or applesauce to his rice cereal. I added bananas last night and while it did firm up his stools a little, he also got some blisters on his hiney. It's probably from the stools touching his skin. I just want to make sure that it's not an allergy (no other signs) and don't know if I should finish the bananas now or switch to applesauce-stage 1. I would have felt better had we already introduced these things, but he's had this diarrhea for a week and I want it gone for his sake. So, suggestions? How much baby food to how much cereal? Maybe I should have added 1/4 of the container instead of 1/2? Please help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:32 PM on Jun. 29, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm sure the hiney sores are from the diarrhea. Don't worry. 1/2 jar is fine. I would finish the bananas and do them only for a few days before introducing something new.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:35 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Alternately... back off all the solids and go back to just formula or breastmilk till the diarrhea is cleared. Then you can re-start. Solids are optional rather than mandatory at this point

Answer by gdiamante at 3:38 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Wait until his diapers are back to normal. Allergic reactions can be anything from severe (not being able to breathe) to a rash down the tummy area to irritation around the anus.

Personally, I'd skip the cereal altogether. It's not necessary and can get him used to muted flavors if you add it in for too long, making it hard to adjust to other ones. Some of the stronger foods like prunes I can see adding a tiny dash to, but other than that you'll be fine straight from the container (or bowl, if you make it at home).

You really only want to start off with a few spoonfuls at a time. At this point it's really more for the learning experience anyway. Yes, you're going to end up throwing more jarred food away but once you build up a nice palate he sounds like he will take to solids well. Our DD was fully transitioned to solids by 9 months.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 3:39 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Poor guy. I think maybe he was pushing too hard, which could def cause those bumps in that area. When we found out DD was allergic to pears (weird girl lol) she got a rash on her back, belly, and chest, but every baby reacts differently. You CAN give him pedialyte. I mix an ounce of BM w a jar of food. Hope he feels better soon.
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 3:39 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• The rule of thumb our pediatrician told us is to try one new food a week. So every Sunday or every Thursday add in one new food. Why so long? Babies can have a reaction to a food even if they've eaten it before without any problem. So a baby who inherited the tendency to be allergic to eggs might not have a reaction the first few times she eats them, but eventually she'll show symptoms.

It's possible to be allergic to any food, but these eight food groups are responsible for 90 percent of food allergies: eggs, milk, peanuts, wheat, soy, tree nuts (like walnuts, Brazil nuts, and cashews), fish (such as tuna, salmon, and cod), and shellfish (like lobster, shrimp, and crab).
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 3:41 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Just wanted to add that I didn't give him cereal at all for the first 48 hours after shots and the diarrhea was so bad that I went back to the rice cereal to try to firm up his stools.. Also, that there is no rash on his trunk, arms, or legs, just in the anal area where the stools touch him. I am trying to follow the dr's advice to add the bananas/applesauce (BRAT diet w/o toast) because we don't want him to continue to have chronic diarrhea. Also, the dr said that it wouldn't have continued this long from only the shots. The bananas did help, just wanted to see if I should continue them. Thanks for all your concern and replies.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:02 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• my daughter sometimes gets little blisters if her stool is really thin.. i have A & D ointment i put on it and its clears it up within a couple hours.. good luck!
    carrientravisj1

Answer by carrientravisj1 at 4:08 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I would keep with the bananas. It's a really uncommon food to cause an allergic reaction, so unless you see another sign of allergy such as redness around the mouth, hives, etc, I would think it safe to assume the sores on baby's bottom are from the diarrhea. Good luck.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:46 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I would say that the bananas are likely safe to continue. Just be sure to use plenty of ointment on that sore little bum!
    katiemomNY

Answer by katiemomNY at 5:15 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• it's from the diarhea.. get butt paste. it works wonders

as for the cereal and food , I give my dd like 3 tbsp of cereal with 1 1/2 tbsp of breastmilk (I dont measure it..so I cant be sure) and she eats a whole container of the fruit or veggie she has eaten the whole container since I started her on solids @ 4 months.. shes 6 months now.
    Emmajosmommy

Answer by Emmajosmommy at 7:36 AM on Jun. 30, 2011