39 weeks and no changes

I had my OB appointment, today My cervix hasn't started to dilate or erase... I'm worried because it's my first baby. Shouldn't I have started dilating or erasing just a little? I've had braxton hicks for a few weeks and a few real contractions, I might sound ignorant, but it's my first baby... Can anyone help me please?

evaelisabeth

Asked by evaelisabeth at 3:41 PM on Jun. 29, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I had my first baby 4 months ago.. i did the same thing and never showed any change.. my dr induced me right at 39 wks though..i wasnt thinned or anything..
    carrientravisj1

Answer by carrientravisj1 at 3:42 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• no, first babies can come all of a sudden, its the subsequent ones that you dilate early and wait weeks before you deliver- in most cases.
    2teens2LOs

Answer by 2teens2LOs at 3:43 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• It was the exact same for me, in fact I didn't even dialate until two days after my EDD! I had braxton hicks for three weeks.
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 3:43 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Don't worry about it. By my fourth child I just started refusing to be checked. It's too discouraging. :D Your body will do what it needs to when baby is ready. Everything can change in a matter of minutes while some women change slowly over weeks. Nothing has to be taking place until you actually go into labor.

Remember too that a baby's due date is just an estimate. Up to 42 weeks is still considered normal.

Congrats!!!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 3:44 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• It could still be another three weeks. Try not to get discouraged the progress really doesn't mean anything.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 4:25 PM on Jun. 29, 2011