Do you know someone that is a terrible housekeeper and their home is filthy? How do you feel about that person?

Why do you think some people let their homes get filthy and rundown? I'm not talking about just a little clutter and dust, but the kind you want to wear a Hazmat suit if you had to go in there. Do you think that there is any excuse for it unless they have some mental illness like Hoarding?

maggiebgood

Asked by maggiebgood at 3:45 PM on Jun. 29, 2011 in Home & Garden

• My aunts house is awful! Her sink is always completely full of dishes. Very rarely can you even see the kitchen table or the counter tops. The floors are always disgusting. She is overweight and (i hate to say it) lazy. She also seems to have a problem with hoarding. There is only one room in her house that isn't covered with papers, pictures or random things. Sometimes the house will be decent but that is only if she has bribed a family member to clean for her. I use to try and help her out until I realized that within 2 weeks of scrubbing the house and throwing things away she would have it disgusting again. I don't even bother anymore. It makes me sad that she lives that way but nothing anyone does seems to help her change.
    momof2il

Answer by momof2il at 4:01 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I just don't go over to their house again.
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 3:47 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• If it's just untidy then I don't care(although I'm pretty anal retentive when it comes to my own house) but if it's actual filth? I wont go back over unless completely necessary.

In all honesty, I think it boils down to laziness. There's no excuse for a house to ever get THAT bad. Especially if this person has children.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 3:51 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I actually had a neighbor who's children were taken away from her for the conditions in the home. Sadly, her older daughter and grandchild lived with her also, the grandchild was taken as well (the daughter was a teen mom- 18 at the time- working full time and also a full time HS student, she helped support the household). I was friends with the daughter and babysat for her often. The other children basically lived at my house. They were so filthy that they had to wash their feet before they could walk around the house, no lie. They just went straight to the bathroom when they cam over.
    I wound up working for 36 straight hours to help them clean the house so that they could get their children back. We filled a dumpster. They were not hoarders, just disgusting. I couldn't believe how bad it was.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:53 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Yes, my sister. I can't even let my son play there- cat pee or dog poop gross nasty hair and spills and food everywhere.. I won't even sit on the couch.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:48 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• yeah, i know a few folks like that. One of them is handicapped, so i don't blame them really for not picking up much. The other is just very lazy....she i guess is used to living in a mess & it's not that big of a deal to her. My other friend is a single guy...nuf said...

When i was in my late teens, i did not care to clean. My room/house was nasty...i mean NASTY. I can't believe i used to live like that...lol....i guess i was a college kid partying & going to school to much. I was busy. But, once i had a kid that changed everything....i am now a very clean person.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:50 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I could not handle it. She is a former friend. She was a sahm. Her kids, at the time, we 1 and 3. I went over and could not take it anymore. I started cleaning. I found baby bottles full of curdled milk, instead of changing the bedsheets she just threw clean ones on top of the dirty ones, found a corner full of dirty diapers (she would change them and throw them in this corner) that filled 2 huge black trash bags, and we will not even get into the nastiness of the kitchen and bathroom. It took me 12 hours to clean that house. She was furious. I didn't care. I walked in and her youngest was using a nail to teeth on. I flipped and cleaned. Her dh could not stop thanking me. I told him he was just as lazy for letting it get that bad. Last I heard she had cps called on her.

pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 3:55 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Yep! My mom's fat, lazy brother is like that, and my hubs has a sis like that. (I DO like sil, she is nice. mom's bro I HATE he is a jerk!!!) Neither of them work or have jobs they are home 24/7. Makes hubs and I wonder just what they do all day long.... as it certainly is NOT clean the houses!! The jerk is is morbidly obese, he is very lazy and does not even make any effort to pick up after himself. Sil is in such denial it is not even funny. The last time we were there, she had fleas ... it was sooo bad they were getting on us! She of course denied it and said "oh, those are just little bugs that come in thru the screen. they are not fleas". Ummmm yeah right! Her house has dog hair all over, stinks to high heaven, dust everywhere, boxes, bags and junk everywhere.... .Ick!!!!
    I will NEVER set foot in either of their houses ever again!!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 4:14 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• i think my MIL flirts with the borderline of hoarding. her computer desk is covered with bills and papers, yet she knows exactly where everything is. same with her breakfast table, and if that table gets full then her dining room table becomes a desk. her room smells like cat piss and other filthy odors i'd rather not describe, it's also very messy. i think part of it is laziness, too, she leaves dirty dishes or fast food wrappings/bags on her coffee table and end tables for days, sometimes weeks on end. her coffee table is usually buried underneath more papers. her kitchen sink is full of dirty dishes, her kitchen counters also buried with all kinds of things. i think she hoards paperwork but is just lazy with all the other stuff. one time when she was gone i organized her computer desk and she flipped out. my kids don't go over there because it's hazardous.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:19 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• like samurai when i was 18 and had first moved out my apartment was disgusting. i was a college freshmen and had a job, but i used my free time to party instead of do anything productive. it was REALLY gross. i even had a roach infestation in my kitchen, and maggots once in the sink. looking back now i can't believe i lived that way. i think i've actually gone to the other side of the spectrum, now messes bother me and i'm constantly cleaning. i want my kids to have a clean and healthy environment to play in.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:23 PM on Jun. 29, 2011