How should I handle the alien children in disguise with no manners?

Its summer time and my 8 year old son and I have the break off together from school and work. My son has some friends that live in the neighborhood that like to come by to play video games, with toys, or play outside. The problem is, it’s just darn hot outside and the kids want to come inside more than ever. I don’t mind it sometimes but I don’t want a zoo in my house every day. So….when I tell the kids they can’t come inside my house on some days, or they have to go home at a certain time, I get nothing but lip. What the ?????? They will talk back till the cows come home and I just can’t understand it. I don’t teach my son to talk back at all (since I am the adult, what I say goes in my house). How do you all handle the kinds of kids that come over and mouth off and disobey rules in your house??? Do you allow them to come back again?
Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:00 PM on Jun. 29, 2011 in General Parenting

• I wouldn't allow them in, and wouldn't allow them to come back. Your house, your rules, what you say goes. Simple as that.
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 4:01 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Those children would not be allowed back. My son's friends (he's 18 now) ALWAYS respected me and my home, sometimes more than my son.
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 4:04 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• If they can not respect your rules and home then they do not need to come back.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 4:09 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Would you allow an adult to speak to you that way in your own home? By not addressing it, you are condoning it. Send them home until they learn some manners.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 4:41 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• We have alien kids too! (I love the description, btw.) Ours are 6, 6, and 10 and they live right next door and the house next to that. When they get lippy I put my mom voice to use. "I'm sorry. You don't have to like it but since I'm the adult and you are the kid here, I win. You can accept that with grace and respect or you can leave and not come back until you are able to accept our house rules with grace and respect." Yes, I am sure I'm known as the "mean mom" on the block, but tell you what, when I speak now, they listen. When I use my "I'm not messing around" voice, they won't push back. For one for the kids, I did once have to pull out the "I will speak to your mom" card. That cleared things up quick too.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 4:59 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Your house, your rules. It they don't like it I'd tell them they're welcome to never return.
    katiemomNY

Answer by katiemomNY at 5:10 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Ummmm...no. I have a son about that age and I would be appalled to have them back talk me. My house, my rules.
    When they come over, tell them "You can play til X:00 and then OUT!"
    MamaMia9999

Answer by MamaMia9999 at 10:53 PM on Jul. 1, 2011