Playroom Makeover

We have an enormous 30x45ft room that we use as a playroom. We have 4 kids so it helps to keep their toys in there instead of in bedrooms or scattered about. We're not wealthy, so please no lavish suggestions. We're needing to revamp this room for less than $500. Right now they have a tv,and wii set up which is great for family nights, or when their cousins are over, but there's a train table no one plays with, a king size mattress, and a set of huge couches. The furniture is going to go. I know I want to put a card table in there for playdoh, drawing, homework etc, so I'm not constantly clearing their stuff to do my homework, dinner, etc. I have a hall way closet nearby for storing all their art supplies and such. My problem is this- I think they are bored. 6, almost 5, 2 and 1. There's more baby toys than anything, giant legos, and blocks. I need suggestions for things they can do to play- all to often they just want to watch tv and with the temps climbing and getting to hot to be outside most the day, I need ideas. Like a big kitchenette or a tool bench thing. My son just turned 6 and I have no idea what boys his age DO! I know that sounds kinda dumb, but he's always played with his little sisters stuff, he doesn't really have anything his own except the wii and a DS...Mostly need suggestions for Boy stuff... Thanks in advance!

KariLyn84

Asked by KariLyn84 at 4:15 PM on Jun. 29, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I think the little tool bench would be a great idea. My girls love to do wii games and might enjoy that as well. dress up stuff so he can dress like pirates or firemen,etc.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 4:17 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• A big table and blankets so they can make a "fort".
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 4:54 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• try making stations,for example art station,dress up station,....If you are allowed to paint,there is a paint that will turn walls into a chalkboard. what about a table to play table tennis on? They also make rugs that look like race tracks.good luck and have fun
    RobinChristine

Answer by RobinChristine at 8:41 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• There are a lot of good pieces at IKEA for organizing and decorating, you might check their website for ideas.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 5:55 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• If no one uses the train table, use the chalkboard paint on it. Look at yard sales and consignment sales for a kitchen, and the play food is pretty inexpensive. My 4 y/o uses the train table as a restaurant, serves her dolls food on it. A foam dartboard might be fun for your son, I don't know a lot about boys toys either. Wall decals are becoming popular, and they are fairly inexpensive,
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 7:54 AM on Jul. 13, 2011