So what happens next?

Washington (CNN) -- The political and legal future of the sweeping health care reform bill received a big boost Wednesday after a federal appeals court in Cincinnati ruled in favor of the Obama administration and Congress, concluding a key provision in the landmark legislation was constitutional.

The "individual mandate" requiring nearly all Americans to purchase health insurance by 2014 or face financial penalties -- was challenged in federal courts by a large number of individuals and groups, who said people should not be forced to purchase a product like medical coverage. A partially divided U.S. Court of Appeals for the 6th Circuit disagreed.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/06/29/health.care.appeal/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

UpSheRises

Asked by UpSheRises at 4:20 PM on Jun. 29, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I just can't see how we can be sooo divided in this country. Half of us want universal health care, and unbelievably, others agree that being unable to afford health care should be a crime! That is madness. The poverty rates in some areas are staggering. Obviously if they can't afford health care, fining them would be even more detrimental. People end up serving time in jail because their fines went unpaid and then lose jobs, homes, etc. What kind of country will the U.S. be then? And how likely will they be to afford health care in the aftermath of their legal woes?? Doesn't make any sense to me.
    Mom22Gurls82

Answer by Mom22Gurls82 at 4:30 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• It will soon be to the SCOTUS to decide and they will not likely find in favor of it.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 4:43 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• You know the government doesn't do anything unless it benefits them. Agree or not on immunizations, mandating them gives them a big chunk of the pie from the pharmaceutical companies. Enough so that they can give $100 per immunized child to the states. Do you really think that they are trying to push health care because they "care" about us? And it's all a big lie. It says you can keep your doctor. Really? I use a naturopath, they won't pay for that. What about the people that have their doctors for years and are getting out because of this? They can't keep them either. If people really knew what was in this bill, they wouldn't accept it. Do you know that your doctor will have to treat you with a medication/procedure that works best for most? Allergic to penicillin? Too bad if it works best for most for that illness. No second opinions, no choices. It reaks and they can fine me and put me in jail I'm not buying.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 4:47 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I believe that everyone in the US should have to have covergae of some sort. There are too many write-offs for the uninsured, and the rest of us are being forced to pay for it through higher medical costs. At the same time, though, we need to make our medical companies non-profit, because we simply cannot afford to keep paying high premiums for drones of execs to have private jets, BMW's, multiple homes, and hundreds of thousand dollars per year of political contribution. Heathcare costs should be for healthcare.
    I used to work for a hospital and it was criminal. Just criminal. Our carpets were moldy, but the ten "owners" had more money than they could shake a stick at.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 5:12 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Attap5, if they push that 'what works for most' I'll be forced to pay for insurance that I would just not use. I'd rather NOT go to a doctor than to be handed medicine that I'm allergic to. Given the number of anaphylactic reactions I've had (for just simple things like Tylenol and even Benydril) there is no way that I'd willingly turn myself over to Obama's tender ministrations ... or anyone that he designated for me. The man is arrogant beyond belief imo, and so are the people who support this.

I'll either be sitting right beside you in jail ~ or hanging out in a hammock in the Bahamas picking sea shells for a living. Cripes I want America back, not this Amerikan police state we're turning into.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 5:14 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Farmlady, what happens when you have a reaction? Do you pay the emergency bill in full? Isn't that expensive? Wouldn't it be cheaper just to pay for a major medical policy?
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 5:21 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• It is just plain stupid to suggest that a Doctor would prescribe penicillin to a patient who is allergic to it. Give me a break.That would never happen. A Doctor takes the Hippocratic Oath that includes the phrase "First do no harm"....he would not deliberately harm a patent by doing that. Please......
    If you don't want health insurance , fine, I don't care. And being "fined' for not having health insurance is a ridulous statement also. WHen you file your taxes, they will include an amount as part of your tax liability if you refuse health care. Depending on your tax bracket, you pay a percentage of that amount.
    I am amazed that ANYONE would decide NOT to have any health insurance.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 5:29 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• ImaginationMama, I HAVE insurance. What does that have to do with being forced to take a medication that is deadly for me ~ just because it isn't for most people?

Minne, I have had doctors pitch a royal fit because of my allergy list. I have Tricare. I've had them flat out ignore things I'm allergic to, write out prescriptions for things I'm allergic to, call me a liar (particularly about things like Benydril, Tylenol, and Motrin), and tell me to 'take it or leave it'.

Because of this I've avoided base hospitals like the plague for over 15 years now. I've skipped return visits to network docs and paid the higher co-pays rather than get stuck with what the military deemed I deserved. The same applies to hospital costs. Fortunately I'm pretty healthy in SPITE of RA and SLE (which I don't take meds for because all they want to dole out is NSAIDS ~ which I'm allergic to).

I'd rather pay a veterinarian than some docs!
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 6:16 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• cont. ~ Yes, I DO think that sick people should be able to be treated and get decent care ~ but I already KNOW how lousy 'government paid' health care is, and I firmly believe that the 'gubmint' should learn to do what it is mandated to do before it screws up anything as important as health care!

I have met some absolutely wonderful military doctors over the years but by and large they, along with the network providers that will accept the lower amount Tricare pays are quackier than my ducks (and at least the ducks lay eggs and amuse me!).
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 6:19 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I agree with you, Farm, about the amount of quack docs out there. They tend to be concentrated in the medicare HMO circles . . . but that is because of the companies who hire the cheapest bozo on the block. At least with universal healthcare, we could hire docs based on skill and not price. And fire the terrible practioners, like the one you have encountered, who will overlook an allergy list like that. That's terrible.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 6:24 PM on Jun. 29, 2011