Cell Phone for dd

My dd is 9 and is startng to work for her own phone. I am trying to decide between putting her on our Verizon plan or getting a tracfone to start with. next week I am going to sit down and compare the cost of each but I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with a tracfone. This phone will mostly be to call me when she is somewhere but I also want her to be able to have some fun with it and be able to text her friends.

ria7

Asked by ria7 at 4:21 PM on Jun. 29, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• I would do a tracphone. If she has verizon she could go well over her minutes. I personally think a 9 yr old shouldnt even have a phone but hey its your kid not mine.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:22 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I would agree with mommy_of_two3888 that 9 is a bit too young for a phone, however .. like mommy_of_two also said, it's your kid, not mine.

If it were me, I would do a tracfone. That's what my husband and I both have.. not as "cool" as many other phones, but it serves its purpose.
    MommyCatalina

Answer by MommyCatalina at 4:25 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• i had a tracphone and personally it was more expensive for me than having a set plan. i think it would be cheaper in the long run to go with verizon, and they have numerous parental control options that you can adjust as she gets older.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:27 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Personally I think the only phone a child of that age should have is one of those ones that you program 4 numbers into (usually mom, dad, police, 911) and that is all they can call and the only calls they can receive. A 9 year old shouldn't be texting IMO.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 4:31 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I was planning on waiting to get her a phone but EVERY kid we know has a phone. She is getn big enough to be going more places (I drop her off at practices and such). She could just ask an adult to use the phone there but I want her to be able to txt me if she feels uncomfortable or needs a ride home early. She won't have the phone all the time. I will give it to her only if she will be somewhere without me.
    ria7

Comment by ria7 (original poster) at 4:32 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• my 11 yr old got his first phone, he starts football in the fall.. He never uses it... Tracphones can be very expensive - you'll be buying a card every week. LOL
    My 12 yr old dd, uses her phone all the time. BUT the rules are it gets plug in at night - in my room. Turned in at 9pm.
    They are not allowed to take it to school, but can use it after school until 9pm.
    I also, have to have access to their phones at random times - I check their messages and stuff.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 5:52 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I do think, 9 is a bit young but she is into activities and goes to friends homes. With my cell phone provider it was only $20 a month to add my son.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 5:53 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• When my stepdaughter was 9, we got her a firefly. It has three buttons, one to call me, one to call her dad and one to call another person that can be programs, like an aunt or trusted neighbor. They are tough phones and when I needed to reach her, I could. When it rings, it lights up like a firefly. Cute. AT&T carrier and we just extended out minutes. Calling within the plan the calls didn't count towards our minutes.
    BrendaW.

Answer by BrendaW. at 4:07 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• firefly is the best i think, because, like BrendaW said, it has only 3 buttons already programmed with certain numbers. She can use a house phone if she wants to call other people.
    B00boo

Answer by B00boo at 8:32 AM on Jul. 24, 2011