Can I take melatonin while breastfeeding?

I'm having trouble falling asleep at night. It would be great to go to bed when the baby does, but I don't want to take a chemical sleep aid. I want to be able to wake up if he needs me, although he rarely does anymore. I just need something to help me fall asleep. He sleeps through the night, so I don't have to get up to nurse him until morning. I've used melatonin before but not since before I got pregnant. If I take it at night, will it still be in my milk in the morning? Thank you in advance.

Rebecca7708

Asked by Rebecca7708 at 1:31 AM on Dec. 15, 2008 in Health

• I would ask your doctor first, just to be on the safe side.
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 1:32 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I'm pretty sure that it is on the NO list. Call your doctor.
    While I was pregnant and having trouble sleeping my doctor suggested Tylenol PM. Since Tylenol is usually on the OK list for pregnancy and nursing I would do that rather than Melatonin.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 4:32 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Sounds like he is a good boy and doing what he needs to do to have a good life. If you kick him out you might mess that up. Don't do his laundry. If he lays his clothes on the floor just don't look in his room. That way it doesn't drive you crazy. If he has no clothes that is his problem. I would let him stay there until he finishes college. Then a might give him a little time to get some money to get on his feet. You know save up money for an apartment or down payment on a cheap home. You are lucky your son is following through with college. I hope when my children are older I will be that blessed. Hang on momma its not that much longer.

Love,
    Michelle
    hopingforanange

Answer by hopingforanange at 11:21 PM on Dec. 18, 2008