we have a mommas girl on our hands...

My baby girl is 4 months old and she started sleeping in her crib about two months ago. (before she was in her bassinet by the bed) anyway everynight when i put her in bed she screams and cries and of course i just let her cry but after an hour she is still crying. i tried the bottle thing but she ends up spitting it out but as soon as i pick her up she is fine.. any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:40 AM on Dec. 15, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• awww that is sweet and is what my daughter did when she was that small..the thing i did was swaddle her(not sure if you do) and rock her to sleep and just sit there and enjoy the time yu have with her maybe aout 20 after she has fallen asleep ....then slowly and quietly put her in her bed...
    my girl is 11 months and i now put her in her cradle swing wth a bottle and let her fall asleep while listetnig to lulliabies...after 30 mins of her asleep then i put her in her crib////// your baby is at the age now where she knows you are there and wants to be safe...its a stage and will pass by...hope this works
    nesamama

Answer by nesamama at 1:51 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• "of course I just let her cry it out"...???? For an HOUR??? A baby should NOT be left to CIO, especially at four months old. If you weren't prepared for sleepless, difficult nights, you weren't prepared for a baby.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:35 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• i put her in bed she screams and cries and of course i just let her cry but after an hour she is still crying.
    During this time, do you go in and soothe her at all or just let her cry for an hour straight? If so, does it not break your heart to hear her crying this long?
    I won't say much but I will say this: you are HURTING your child by letting her cry this way. She needs you. For goodness sake, she's FOUR MONTHS OLD! Sleepless nights come with parenting.
    Congratulations on teaching your child she can't count on you.
    Please: educate yourself.

http://www.sleepnet.com/infant3/messages/534.html
    http://www.sleepnet.com/infant4/messages/549.html
    http://phdinparenting.com/2008/07/05/no-cry-it-out/
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/10/
    http://en.allexperts.com/q/Pediatrics-1429/f_4631125_122219.htm
    ivansmom07

Answer by ivansmom07 at 11:51 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• May I ask who told you it was a good idea to let her cry that long? Did someone give you advice that was what you should do? There are better ways for the both of you.
    JoyeAustin

Answer by JoyeAustin at 1:05 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• She screams and cries? Hmmm, maybe, and I'm going out on a limb here, she wants her mommy. She's only 4 months old. Not only is she still too young for CIO, that's FAR too long to be allowing her to CIO on her own.
    Why is everyone in such a hurry to get their children to be independant? She'll have the rest of her life to be alone and cry at night...don't rush her into it.
    (I know this sounded harsh, and really, it wasn't meant to be. It just makes me so sad that people think an infant should be left alone to fend for herself).
    Ooftacat

Answer by Ooftacat at 1:17 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• now i dont understand why woman have to be so damn mean. my daughter fights sleep alot and my doctor and my daughters doctor said if you've done all you an do...change her, feed her, make sure shes burped and you can tell shes tired but just wont go to sleep...let her cry for like 10 minutes and if she doesnt fall asleep then, then go out there. and of course it killed me to hear her cry no mom likes to hear their child cry and i know it probably killed you too. i started the whole wait 10 mintues thing when my daughter was 4 months. 2 weeks later she was in her crib sleeping on her own and no longer fights it. she thankfully just falls asleep when shes tired. shes 6 months old now and is PERFECTLY fine. you just hang in there and do what YOU think is best for your baby...after all YOU are her mother. not all these all woman. hope this helped :)
    sarrrr13

Answer by sarrrr13 at 2:10 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• you just hang in there and do what YOU think is best for your baby...after all YOU are her mother. not all these all woman. hope this helped :)

Ugh.  Another 'mom knows best' cop-out.

Please.  Do the research.  For a long time, moms 'knew' best and placed their children on their stomach to sleep.  Once research was done and placing kids to sleep on their back was recommended: SIDS was reduced by FIFTY PERCENT! 

You can't argue with facts. 

Anonymous

• My suggestion to you is to get the book The No-Cry Sleep Solution.  I used the CIO method in the beginning as well, and I can't tell you how much I regret it.  This book has a BUNCH of useful and insightful info, and tips for ALL kinds of family situations.  It helped us TREMENDOUSLY!

Good luck.

jellyphish

Answer by jellyphish at 2:22 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Quote: i started the whole wait 10 mintues thing when my daughter was 4 months. 2 weeks later she was in her crib sleeping on her own and no longer fights it. she thankfully just falls asleep when shes tired. shes 6 months old now and is PERFECTLY fine. /Quote

She finally gave up, and knows that now she can't count on you to comfort her at night. And at 6 months old (a whopping 2 months later) you can't tell that she's perfectly fine.
    Having said that, I DID the cio, just like this, with my oldest child. He now has ADHD, anger and trust issues, and other emotional/behavioral problems. Now, I have other children, too...that weren't raised with the hard cio and other parenting ways. None of them have those issues. I'm just saying...
    Ooftacat

Answer by Ooftacat at 2:45 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I'm with the other ladies. Letting a small baby cry isn't okay, at all. The reason she stops crying when you pick her up is because she didn't want to be abandoned - not because she's "a momma's girl." Babies have emotional needs, just like adults, and when she's left to cry, it hurts her. It shows her that her one and only voice doesn't matter.

Please look at some of the links provided for you, and look into other ways to help her sleep. Even the most adamant CIO books say never to leave a baby under 6 months to cry anyway.
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 4:02 PM on Dec. 15, 2008