what questions to ask a child when you suspect abuse?

bubbasisnmama

Asked by bubbasisnmama at 4:39 PM on Jun. 29, 2011 in Kids' Health

• what type of abuse? How old is the child, please give more details
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:41 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I think it depends on how close you are to the child. You don't want to put ideas in their head by being too specific. You could say, "You looked upset when you got here, did so and so dosomething to upset/hurt you?" You could ask what a bruise is from. You need to document whatever you see or hear in a notebook or your planner with dates and times. I think it depends on the type of abuse and a child may cover up for the abuser as well, especially if it is someone they are close to.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:44 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I thought I've heard that you don't want to ask questions because the child may try to tell you what they think you want to hear. If anything I would ask some open-ended questions.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 4:54 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• ^^Skittles I have heard that too.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 5:25 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• NONE!! You take the child to a professional or call CPS/the police and let them do it. If there is abuse and it goes to court, you asking questions of the child can be used against you/the child. The defense will say YOU put the ideas in the child's head, you made it all up.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:48 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Talk to a professional.... I was just lucky enough to know one that I could talk to about a little girl I knew whom I thought was being abused.... she talked to the girl, and we were able to get her out of the situation..... GL!
    momof2redhedz

Answer by momof2redhedz at 6:44 PM on Jul. 4, 2011