Alzheimers

i'm worried about my dad. he just turned 64 but seems younger at heart. he also does a lot of "do it yourself" stuff around the home, mows their lawn, stuff like that. however lately he's been forgetting a lot of stuff. yesterday i had a doctor's appointment and i told him the day before what time it was so he could come babysit (the kids were napping so i just needed someone to be here). he lives about 7 minutes from me. well i go weekly and last week he showed up to my house like an hour early, which was fine. yesterday, at about 1/2 hour til my appointment and him not showing, i got concerned and called. he was still at home but said he was on his way. i know he forgot about it, he always shows up early for everything. well then he arrives, i go to leave and he parks behind me! so he moves his car, and on my way i call my mom who's on her lunchbreak at work. she said she's concerned about him also because lately he's been saying he's going to do stuff and then forget, and being so absent-minded that he forgets who certain people are my mom talks to him about that he's met before and has talked about with her numerous times. she'll have to give the back-story to remind him who the person is, when it should just automatically click. are these just signs of aging, or a deeper memory issue? his mother just passed away a few months ago in her late 90's, her mind was so far gone she didn't even remember him, his sister or anyone else in the family. i'm just a little worried about him, if anyone has dealt with alzheimers and could share some advice i'd appreciate it. TIA

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 4:43 PM on Jun. 29, 2011 in Health

• He NEEDS to see a doctor and get evaluated. There are medications that they can give him that would slow down/stop the memory loss for a time period. The sooner he gets evaluated, the better. If you and your mom are seeing things, you NEED to document it. Those closest to the family member often can tell something is wrong before it even shows up on tests. My mom and I were insisting my grandmother had problems a few years before she was finally able to be diagnosed with Alzheimers. Talk to his doctor, even if you call ahead of time and don't talk about it in front of your dad.

It could be alzheimers, it could be because of losing his mom, it could be dementia. But the doctor can at least give you some direction. I'm so sorry. :( (Be careful with having him watch your kids. :( It may just be minor things now, but it could get worse. My grandma gave the kids (2 & 3 yrs) matches and knives when they asked for them
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:22 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• thank you!!
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 7:02 PM on Jun. 29, 2011